Open Office ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

How does Open Office compare to the Microsoft Office?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What do you think?

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I use LibreOffice, Open Offices new guise. Its tremendous value for money @ no cost. That said MS Office does things a little better. One example is the Mail Merge function. In Libre/Open Office it is frankly a nightmare. Once sorted though it works sort of OK.

MS Office Mail Merge is more professional. On typing a letter there is plenty of freeware that provide easy useable Word type functionality. Including Libre Office and SoftMaker 2008 version is free.

Terry

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I have Microsoft Office and like it slightly better than Open Office. If I didn't have MO I'd use OO or LibreOffice for sure. :)

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used Open Office for nearly three years, it may not be quite as polished as MS Office but I actually prefer it now. Recently, due to various things happening at Sun Systems & the forming of LibreOffice by The Document Foundation I have switched to the 'fork' of Open Office known as LibreOffice.

I only really use Writer (Word) & Impress (Powerpoint) but it does everythng I need it to & then some.

Don't forget the stand-alone word processor AbiWord.

The Document Foundation

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Open Office (or now Libre Office) is very capable. I'm certain that anything I need to do can be done with Libre Office. The larger concern is moving between the products. In other words if someone sends you documents created in MS Office are they going to display correctly in Libre Office and vice versa. Apparently formatting does not always carry over properly.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free, saving you lots money unless you have special privileges, generous friends/family, luck, or pir@te ver$i0n. Much safer than last option as well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

OpenOffice was always buggy for me, same for AbiWord. Thankfully there's Google Docs.

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I had to do some accounts and tried the first version of Libre office and there were bugs Calc that meant I had to use MS Office to complete them (and the same bug effected the spreadsheet regardless of file format used).

For the general letter writing I do, Libre Office and Open Office has always been fine.

Not sure if these have been Ironed out with the current version of Libre office, but IMHO there is no harm in trying.

10. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i used the Three

OpenOffice + Libreoffice + Microsoft Office

I found the Best and simple one is libre office
    Amazing stuff from a Free Product

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Saying that something is buggy isn't really saying a lot, is it?

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

AbiWord has a few minor bugs, but I learned workarounds. Firstly, when AbiWord was going through a period of not installing the UK English (or any) dictionary I learned how to hack a UK dictionary into it, & secondly if you save an image, such as a screenprint for instance, when you re-open the file after saving it is compressed into an odd shape. All you have to do to stop this happening is to click on the image after you have first pasted it & expand it with the 'handles' a tiny amount. You can then put it back to its original size if you like. Afterwards, it will open normally from file.

The portable AbiWord is pretty good too, although has the above bugs also. I discovered on the portable that if you tried a print preview on XP it froze. I only noticed this on some computers at work though, it may just peculiar to that system.

It's pretty good for freeware!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.