oopsbackup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Nekromantik, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nekromantik

Nekromantik Registered Member

hi people
    would you recommend a time machine type software like OoopsBackup or standard imaging like Macrium? or both?
    Keep in mind I want free software so I would be using the free version of Macrium and I got a free license for Oops so wandering whats better.

thanks

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Which OS and for what purpose?

If you want to backup your system partition sector based imaging is better.
    If you want to backup only some files/folders file based synchronization/backup programs are the way to go.

Free Imaging apps are (in alphabetical order) Keriver 1-Click Restore Free, Macrium Reflect Free, Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced, Runtime DriveImage XML.
    Keriver is the easiest of them and the only one that supports differential and incremental images and comes with a winPE recovery enviroment.

For time machine backup software there is Genie Timeline Free.

For off site (cloud) storage try wuala.
    Panagiotis

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. Nekromantik

For Windows 7 x64 and just for my personal files and not system data.
    I got oops backup for free so would that be better then Macrium or Keriver free versions?
    I know that oops creates one base backup and then when files change it creates snapshots of the changed files so you can choose which version. Not sure how effective that is, also it does not compress so uses it quite a bit of space. If I want to save space should I use Keriver?

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I never used oops backup so I cannot tell about it's space usage.
    What type of files are we talking about? Music and especially video files occupy a lot of space and make the backups and the OS images huge (compression does not help on multimedia files).
    By the way, you do know that all 7 versions have a cool feature that allows you to view and restore previous versions of your files?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Previous-versions-of-files-frequently-asked-questions

Personally, I use both imaging apps and file folder backups. But I do not keep my personal files in the same partition where the OS is installed. This is mainly for 2 reasons:
    - 1st. OS images are smaller and are faster to create and to restore.
    - 2nd and most important; When I have to restore the OS, I do not have to worry about loosing my personal files or restoring them again from the backups.

I create a folder on another partition and then point my account files to that folder/subfolders. Below are some links with various ways to achieve it:
    http://www.vista4beginners.com/Move-user-files-folders-to-another-partition
    http://www.windows7hacker.com/index...e-user-profile-default-location-in-windows-7/
    http://www.windows7home.net/how-to-move-user-data-folder-to-non-system-partition-in-windows-7vista/

ps. I forgot to mention another great free backup software, Cobian Backup.

Panagiotis

5. Nekromantik

thanks il take a look at them ideas.
    I only keep my documents and music on the C drive while all me movies are stored on my 2nd partiton. I also got a 2nd 1TB HD that I use to store movies.

Think I will make a image using Macrium and then try out oops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.