OOo - Not happy with pdf import - Lucid

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sometimes, and always when scanning to pdf with XSane, OOo 3.2 does not import the pdf - error message 'General io input/output error'.
    Googling this I tried two things without success:-
    1. Replaced the dialog.xlc and script.xlc files in ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/basic
    2. Outputted the pdf(s) using pdftk and then trying to import them with OOo Draw.

I also saw somewhere that the pdf import plugin has problems with pdf files that are not linearized, I am not sure what this means though.

Can anyone confirm this ? Just scribble something on a piece of paper scan it and try to import it with OOo Draw.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Are you using the latest plugin or from repos?

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

From repos. Should I try 1.01 which I think is the latest ? Did you have the same error with 1.0 ? Thanks.

(off topic... I could have sworn that there were one or two posts by one 'windowsforall' :argh: this morning. can't see them now .. )

4. linuxforall

Ocky, I always use latest when it comes to OO plugins, haven't seen this error yet.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK installed 1.01 - a small improvement, but pdf's scanned with XSane still don't get imported. Non XSane scanned pdf's are OK. However in some cases the text is messed up.

pdf import.png

Do you have any ideas on why ? I don't have the microsoft core fonts installed btw. The download page said 'Native' pdf's are not supported. Can you tell me what that means plse. ?

6. linuxforall

The PDF plugin is actually tricky, it uses draw to render the PDF and therefore you might run into issues. Have you tried out gscan to pdf btw?

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No I haven't. I have no problems scanning to pdf and am very pleased with XSane's results.
    However sometimes I need to edit pdf's, correcting figures, comments etc. and for that I use OOo Draw - so it's a pity that the stuff I scan doesn't get imported for some reason. The stuff I don't scan does get imported. o_O

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Are you talking about the "openoffice.org-pdfimport" plugin that is in the repos?

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, that one. I have replaced it with a newer version which is better. The interesting thing is that if I scan someting with XSane to pdf and open/import it to OOo Draw there is an input/output error. However with this newer plugin (1.01) if I output the scanned pdf using pdftk, (eg. pdftk test.pdf output test2.pdf), OOo Draw has no problem importing it ready for editing. So there is a workaround for me for pdf's scanned with XSane. As mentioned before non XSane scanned pdf's are imported OK 95% of the time.

PS. Definitely an XSane matter. Have tried with Simple Scan and have none of the abovementioned problems. So, all is well once again and I have the choice of 2 image scanner programs. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.