Only want outbound firewall protection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hipgnosis, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

*cue music from The Twilight Zone*.....

...Submitted for your security minded thoughts.....:cool:

I am behind a hardware NAT router, happily running Avast anti-virus and want to enable a simple, low resource solution for providing outbound protection (something like an outbound only firewall).......

In reading, it appears that System Safety Monitor would provide this solution. Is that a correct understanding?

If SSM would not fulfill my sought after solution (outbound protection), then what would?

Thanks in advance

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes SSM 2.2 (beta) does provide the outbound network protection.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

In addition, Ghost Security Suite provides outbound firewall protection and is currently free since it is beta right now(if you don't buy it, you have to deal with a popup every now and then). Also Prevx1 has some outbound protection, but Prevx isn't the lightest HIPS around

Cheers

Alphalutra1

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A-wall. Free & easy outbound protection.

5. Hipgnosis

Stem, Alphalutra1 and Bellgamin....thanks for the feedback. I think I will start with the A-Wall firewall on a test box first. That looks like it could be just the ticket (and being free is an added bonus :D ). I'm definitely going to keep an eye on SSM development also. Who knows, maybe A-Wall + SSM Free would be a good combination.

I feel that my system (behind a NAT router) is very secure from outside attacks, but would like to have control (and knowledge) of what is connecting out. I have tried many firewalls and have grown tired of the ever-increasing bulk and in many cases their seemingly lost focus on what they are trying to do (jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind).

Again, thanks to you all for your input.:thumb:

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

A-Wall does need "Backup", as this firewall does fail on simple leaktests such as Leaktester 1.2

7. Hipgnosis

Thanks, good info. Have you by chance tested SSM 2 Beta to see if it passes that leaktest?

8. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

any ideas if netlimiter is any good as outbound firewall?
    Ciao
    itsme

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

SSM2.2 beta does intercept this network access attempt.

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is a firewall included with the "Netlimiter 2 Pro", but have never installed this application. The description of the firewall:-
    The "allow or deny certain applications" is a little vague.

11. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Thx for that Stem. I followed your recommendation not long ago and avoided this FW like the plague. If it fails such an easy test which is the minimum required for outbound protection then it basically offers no outbound protection at all; and for that I rather use XP FW.

Settled now with Comodo.

Cheers.

12. Hipgnosis

Stem, I just ran the grc leaktest and A-Wall passed. When I ran the test, A-Wall popped up and asked me about "Permissions for the application". I chose "Disable External" and Leaktest came back as "Unable to Connect". Just thought I would pass that along.

Thanks again for your input. It is appreciated.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BitDefender Professional Plus is using outbound protection only (basically just program control). You can also configure Comodo Personal Firewall this way.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Please check on how to run this test:-
    Example: If you have given firefox.exe permission to access the internet,... then change the name of the leaktest to firefox.exe (A-Wall does fail this test)

15. Hipgnosis

DOH! :cautious: You are correct. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Well then, A-Wall isn't what I had hoped for. Time to remove it and give SSM Beta 2 a go.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

ProcessGuard is the obvious answer. That is what I use to control outbound. I have IE tied down so tight that it has to beg before it can start. It started ON ITS OWN about six months ago and ran right over to Windows Updates, which I don't use to get my updates, and started to download that awful Genuine Advantage crap. I stopped it and swore IE would never pull that on me again so I tied it down real tight using PG.

I have some applications that I have told PG to always permit and many others that have to ask when they want out. If this is the only thing you want a software firewall for PG is what you want.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

"Hipgnosis" is looking for outbound "Internet" access control, which ProcessGuard does not include.

18. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Jetico v1 seems a light and stable firewall which offers great outbound Internet access control. I read somewhere the inbound protection can be turned off... o_O

19. webster

webster Registered Member

Take a look at this No app control, but pretty good outbound control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.