Only monosound now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Devin84, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin84

Devin84 Registered Member

Lateley something strange happened with my soundcard, it's only monosound now, can it be that some Virus have caused it to be like that or do I just need to buy another soundcard?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This is probably a silly question but have you gone in to your audio settings to make sure nothing has changed a setting from stereo to mono?

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Its not a silly question!my sound card,Soundblaster audigy2, regularly reverts to stereo if my daughter has been listening to music CDs via the PC whilst she is using PC for her coursework,I've just put it down to the way the source material is encoded,might be classed as a bug but never realy bothered about it!

4. Devin84

Yes I have checked it and everything was normal. I think maybe my TV have something to with it. Because about two months ago I started to connect my computer to the TV with S-Cabel and soundcabels. Is this possible?

My Sound Card: Creative Audio PCI

5. steve1955

If the tv is mono it can "short" the audio channels into one, try unplugging it,similar thing used to happen years ago with Hi-Fi if you connected a mono tape deck to some amps,even just to record,all the sources got "shorted" to mono

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If your video card is setup for video out and has the s-video plug it should work but as was stated in the previous post make sure that your tv is stereo with L/R in plugs and so does your card you should be all right. If you have this still hooked up you might want to unhook it and try again.

7. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:)My sb16 and sb Live cards used to do the same thing. Most of the time unplugging from the card would fix it. Connecting to some online music was the culprit because it never happened from my own cd's. Sometimes I had to actually change channels on my Live card and then switch back. The shorting thing I remember, Pioneer did that through the SCR's of each channel.

8. Devin84

I did all that, but I still got monosound, It makes me crazy :doubt:

9. steve1955

Do you have genuine mono sound :-ie all channels combining into one and coming out of all your speakers or is just the sound just coming from 1 speaker?,hope that makes sense to you!.
    If it is just coming from 1 speaker does it switch sides if you reverse the connections to the speakers?
    Do you connect the speakers directly to the soundcard or do the orbital(stereo)speakers run from a sub-woofer with its own built in amp?

10. Devin84

The sound is coming from one speaker, and I know that the speakers are fine because I connected my headphones directly to my soundcard and I only heard monosound. But when I connect the sound to my TV, it sounds like stereo, I'm not 100% sure if it is stereo though.

The speakers is directly connected to my soundcard

11. steve1955

Sounds(sorry about that!)like your soundcard is faulty and only working on one channel it could be just the jack socket that your speakers plug into(if its the type I think it is there is 3 connections to the socket 1"live" each for left and right channels and 1 "ground"common to both channels)it could be a simple thing like a dry joint on the channel thats us. but might actually cost more to have tested than to replace(unless you are friendly with your local pc hardware shop and they will let you try another on a "no cure no sale" basis.
    I cant guarantee that it is your card but the same prob affects your headphones,which tends to rule out your speakers(unless both your speakers and headphones have the same fault:-unlikely) and as all your sources are affected the same way tend to rule out an input fault

12. Devin84

It got three connections one for speakers second (the middle I dont use that) and the third is for microphone.

13. steve1955

Is the plug that connects connects your speakers divided into 3 ie:- metal tip then 1 plastik ring then one thin metal section then another plastik ring then 1 longer metal section(all the way to the base of the plug)?

14. Devin84

No, the soundcard contains 3 plastic rings and one metal tip.

15. steve1955

not the card! the lead from speakers how does the plug at the end of that divide up

16. Devin84

It's just ordinary speakers it doesn't divide up.

17. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:)Hi devon! you may want to call Creative, I was just reading some stuff about a particular driver they use for two of their cards that will actually sense when you have headphones plugged in. The driver then shuts of the back speakers. Maybe there is a bit of dust on the headphone plug or the driver got corrupted somehow.
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm
    Check here! Just a suggestion, I've had Creatives equip. for a long time now and I've had very simular probs. They are usually pretty good at helping. The card you mention, Audigy I believe is one of those cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.