Only able to boot in safe mode after Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by addisonk, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addisonk

addisonk Registered Member

I needed to migrate an SBS 2003 installation so I created a BartPe boot disk with XPE and Acronis TI Enterprise server with Universal Restore plugin of Mustang's. The target server has an Intel S5000VSA motherboard which I managed to get started with the PE disk and restored an image from the old server. OS is SBS Server 2003 and the new board has dual Quad Xeon processors. The server I'm migrating from is a standard P4 type non-Xeon CPU.

After the restore I can only start in safe mode, if I try to start in normal mode the windows log remains on the screen and nothing further happens.

Any ideas? I have managed to install all of the drivers and run a chkdsk /r and still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this server into production ASAP or I am in trouble.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello addisonk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of both Acronis True Image and Acronis Universal Restore. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please make sure that if you are choosing custom drivers during the restore procedure, the drivers you present are correct for the target machine.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report on the target machine the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. addisonk

addisonk Registered Member

Thank you fore responding but I have since managed to solve the problem.

Here's how for those who have a similiar problem in the future:

After restoring the TI backup, disable Core Multi-Processing in the BIOS and start the computer in Safe Mode. Install all drivers that came with the system on CD. Reboot the system an start in safe mode again. Uninstall ALL System Devices in Device manager and restart in safe mode again. Check that all devices re-install without errors and then try to start in normal mode. At this stage only 2 single core processors are shown in device manager.

The system should be able to start in normal mode for the first time now. Install the latest OS service packs. Shut down and re-enable Core Multi-Processing in the BIOS then allow to start in normal mode.

Check device manager and make sure that 8 processor cores are shown.

I spent several days trying to figure out why the system wouldn't start and then I stumbled on an article on the Intel website which put me on the right track.

Here is the link: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-028321.htm

Cheers,
    Kevin

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello addisonk,

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's much appreciated. We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved and you can use Acronis True Image successfully.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.