Only a very slight speed loss from v.8.0.0.937 to v.9.0.0.3567

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Allen L., Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I ran some tests from the fastest past version (in my opinion - v.8.0.0.937) and the latest v.9 (build 3567) and there is an almost unnoticable slight speed loss between the two on my computer. The greatest slowdown is when using the File and Folder backup option. When this option is used, no compression should be used if backing up mp3 files or jpegs. Compressing these files (as they are already compressed) will cause no saving of space in the image and will just tend to slow down the imaging process.

As I use none of the 'secure zones' or other 'fancy' (my word) options, just a straight image of my active C partition (most of the time) to an internal and external USB hard drive, I find the newest version is preforming excellently.! The MBR saving issue being added is the greatest addition in my opinion.

Very good job Acronis!

...Allen :thumb:

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Re: Only a very slight speed loss from v.8.0.0.937 to v.9.0.0.3567 3567

Um interesting - A similar arranement to me and I find TI9 very slow by comparision. I have a combination of IDE and STA drives maybe that is the issue?

3. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I give you my specs so you can compare:

I'm running a homebuild...Intel P4 2.8GHz HT Northwood in an Intel D875PBZ MB with 1GB DDR Memory. (No O.C.) 120GB SATA W.D. S.E.7200 8MB buffer (main drive) with a smaller Maxtor IDE PATA 7200 storage drive to which I store backups. I also use a USB self made external H.D. running a Seagate IDE 7200 for backups and it is somewhat slower of course than the internal H.D, but not by much.

I would say I lost maybe 20 to 25% at the very most in speed comparison between v.8 and v.9. I could backup my active C partition which is only about 4.2GB in about 2.5+ minutes with v.8 and it takes about 3+ minutes now...each with no verification. (I run that later). All this takes place under Windows, I never use the rescue CD except for rescue! When backing up I'm using he 'normal' setting button in all respects. (resource usage, and compression all set to normal)

To me, just having the MBR backed up with the active partition is the most useful new feature, or I would just stay with v.8. I never cared for all the extras. I just want a good solid image to eliminate the PITA restore of Windows and all the programs in the event of a crash of the active partition! :)

I do all my backups manually and through Windows and do not "use" the computer when backing up, but then do use the computer when verifying the image. The slowest backup occurs using the File and Folder option...much slower than my favorite program for data backups..."Stomp".

Hope this helps,

...Allen

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.