online scanners in addition to an anti virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ronny, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

As an extra i regularly do an online scan with some online scanners, just to be sure that my installed anti virus does its job like it should.:D

NOTE: i didn't start this topic, originally it was a remark at my post in "Anti-Virus Poll 2007" but i guess one of the moderators thought it was better to split and paste it here. It be so.:) ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Re: Anti-Virus Poll 2007

and does it ? do its job that is ? Reading between the lines if you do extra scans
    it suggests that your installed scanner is not finding anything ?

I'm not saying it isn't possible to get a virus or malware but unless visting the so called dark side I still have to wonder (a) how people manage to get get spyware and viruses on their machines and (b) why so many have so many security programs and still seem to end up infected.

I'm not being critical - I do the same myself - run the odd on demand spyware or virus program but apart from finding the odd false positive I find it pretty much a waste of time.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  3. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Yes. One one of my pcs i have eTrust installed. It was already installed when i bought it. Because it is very light (it's not their suite or EZ) i kept it. Now every review is disastrous for eTrust, so i am always curious...:D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Well i give you a REAL example. If you download a trial from Kingdia, which seems a normal company, you will(!) get infected with a trojan downloader. Only 3 scanners found it: Kaspersky, F-secure & Dr.Web.

I was so astonished that i tried it myself. I even thought that it must be a false positive & so i sent the files to F-secure, Kaspersky. Less than 2 hours later (on a Sunday!) i got an answer from Kaspersky to confirm the infection. What a great company, Kaspersky is!

Kingdia was also very amazed but admitted it. They will fix it as soon as possible.

Moral: use different scanners (e.g: online).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.