Online Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Ed_H, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have used Idrive and Mozy and while they work fine there is a lot of disk IO while they index files. This excessive IO can go on for 15 minutes or more after a re-boot and then periodically after that.

I am looking for another solution that does not have this indexing / IO issue. Perhaps even online storage where I can use something like SyncBack SE to handle the backup. I would rather have the backup take longer than have indexing activity going on most of the time.

Any suggestions?

2. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

The number of permutations and combinations to remotely backup data is staggering.

To prevent the hard drive thrashing caused by indexing, I avoid using anything that attempts to synchronize local : remote storage in real time. Instead, I schedule my daily / weekly / monthly backup jobs to run after midnight - and I have Windows task scheduler run a small batch file to shut down the system after the backups are finished.

I use Amazon S3 for storage, and a nifty free (donation-ware) backup utility called duplicati: http://code.google.com/p/duplicati/

I find this combination to be reliable, secure (encryption), easy, and inexpensive.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I used Amazon S3 for a short time a couple of years ago but stopped due to the painfully slow upload speeds. Since it is working well for you, I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The best is Dropbox. It is 2gb free, and you can earn upto 8gb free, making a total of 10gb free. For each person you introduce, you get .25gb free.

Let us say that I invite you, you start at 2.25gb, which includes your extra .25gb for accepting invitataion. And, I also get .25gb free too!

People buy programs and manually sync between Outlook files on two different computers for the changes. The same is done automatically by Dropbox for changes.

Best regards,

KOR!

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
  8. Tony

Tony Registered Member

+1 for Dropbox, currently have 6GB free account which is enough for me at the moment.
    Works flawlessly with Windows, Linux and my Android phone.:thumb:

9. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Dropbox's requirement to have everything to backup in one folder is not for me. It works very well but I don't want to change my file structure around to accommodate Dropbox. Am I missing something here?

Giving SugarSync a try now. It is similar to Dropbox but allows any folder/file to be backed up or synced.

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks InternetMeltdown. That definitely helps although I have files within some folders that I would exclude from backup. Dropbox isn't really meant for this level of selection but they seem to have it on their radar for future implementation.

Sugarsync offers folder and file selection and storage plans are a bit cheaper than Dropbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.