online armour vs prevx1

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi,

memory useage of online armour? screenshot

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. archie123

archie123 Registered Member

People seem very preoccupied woth memory usage , im a gamer , i run nod32 , sunbet kerio and prevx1 all the time , even when gaming , whether i run benchmarks with that lot running or not i still get the same results.

Granted i have 2 gig of very fast ram but even if you only have 1 gig i wouldnt worry about it

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok thanks. i cant wait to try the new lighter f-secure.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm more interested in the differences between Prevx1 and Online Armor regarding functions and working methods, than memory comparisions.
    I can't do anything with memory and memory doesn't protect my computer.
    You can't blame a software that your memory is too small in order to run it smoothly. Expand your memory and the problem is fixed. :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very true. i want to know more about that as well.

since I can use my current f-secure license for the 2007 version im gonna give it a chance, i got a license till December anyway so if its good i can always keep it and if not dump it.

6. ErikAlbert

You can either choose for Prevx1 or Online Armor, that doesn't matter.
    I choosed Prevx1, because :
    - I like the philosophy behind Prevx1
    - it targets all malwares
    - it's simple and easy to understand for less-knowledgeable users
    - it uses whitelists and blacklists, the latter isn't my favority one, but nothing is perfect.
    - the Community Database is managed by knowledgeable people, who decide what is good or bad for users like me and housewives.
    If Prevx1 isn't perfect, you can improve it, rather than ditching it. :)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

good point. i do like both.

8. muf

muf Registered Member

Why not use both. A friend of mine uses both without any issue's.

muf

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that would use to much resourse

10. ErikAlbert

I prefer to learn softwares separately and I installed Prevx1 in an extreme environment without any other security softwares, except a firewall.
    If I combine Prevx1 with Online Armor, I can't see what is missing in Prevx1. I like it extreme, it's more fun and more exciting. ATI + FDISR are there to save my skin. :)

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

No contest Prevx - very good and pretty much set and forget

12. ErikAlbert

Voila, my choice is already good, my intuition didn't let me down as usual. :)

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lol ye prevx1 is great.

but if f-secure is a free upgrade i will be using that till my license runs out.

one question do i need trend micro antispyware if i use prevx1 and an av?

14. ErikAlbert

In theory, you don't need any scanner with Prevx1 on your computer, but I wouldn't do this unless you are an adventurer like me and well armed to recover your system. Just add Prevx1 to your existing security, that's much safer. :)

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was gonna add it to my current setup. but i dont really need a payed real time antispyware. because the HIPS will cover me.

16. muf

muf Registered Member

Probably no point having a dedicated realtime AS running in your setup, but an on-demand scanner is always a useful "Just to be on the safe side". If you've never seen this site before there are a few links to various web resource, online scanners and more besides. http://www.security-ops.eu.tt/

muf

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have used both Prevx1 and Online Armor for a long time now with no conflict. You can't really put them in the same category (maybe later, time will tell), but one does complement the other well. I use the AV+ version of Online Armor, meaning I have Online Armor, Kaspersky AV Engine, and Prevx1. I know you don't want to be reminded of what they do, but later when the firewall is finished, all you would need for a good layer of defense would be Online Armor AV+ Firewall and Prevx1.

dja2k

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

On my system OA (oasrv.exe) runs 4972k and prevx1 (pxagent.exe) runs 15244k,but memory useage is not as important to me as the security of my computer. So as you can see i have both and they do work well together.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you could only use one of em which one would it be?
    how many programs do you need?

i have been using f-secure internet security for nearly 2 years and have never got infected by a virus, Trojan etc. but have had a few bit of spyware but got rid of them easy.

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Well that's a tough questian. Look N Stop's my firewall,NOD32 for anti virus,XPL ScoketShield for exploits and sites known for malware,OA for hands on hips,Prevx1 for community hips. (works differant then OA) BOClean if everything else misses something bad. ewido+a squared for on demand both very good scanners. Spyware blaster? its free and i like the program. So i would have to say if you could only have 1 Prevx1 or OA is to try them both then decide for yourself.

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey lodore, first of all, I can't seem to wonder why you are concerned with memory usage when f-secure internet security uses more than lets say Kaspersky Internet Security. I wouldn't consider using OA over Prevx1 or vise versa. I have never been infected with any spyware whatsoever with this two, tested scanners (trendmicro antispyware, spyware terminator, ewido, a-squared, adaware, and spybot).

IMO, its a matter of personal choice when you think about running OA and\or Prevx1 together. I personally wouldn't dump one over the the other any time soon. :)

dja2k

22. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

:eek: Damn that is some low memory usage there. I have oasrv.exe running at 32,276 K and pxagent.exe at 33,012 K. Don't mind really, I have lots of memory to spare.

dja2k

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

In my case oasrv.exe uses 6488. pxagent.exe uses 35062 (I have since uninstalled it.)

FYI, System Safety Monitor (syssafe.exe) 10468 RAM, 10756 VM. I run oasrv.exe & syssafe.exe on 2 different images - not together.

I use the *plain* version of OA (OnlineArmor), not the AV+ version. I would expect that the AV+ version uses somewhat greater memory than what I have indicated here.

Another potential impact on OA's usage of memory is the fact that OA is extremely modular, so you can pick & choose as to which modules you wish to use. I use ALL the modules except the AV.

OA's modules include application/process guard (community-based); keylogger guard; web surfing guard; special-added protection for accessing user-specified websites such as bank accounts, stock accounts, etc; mail filter; anti-spam filter; cookie cutter; HOSTS file protection; untrusted websites special controls (see NOTE below); Firewall (available free in the near future); fully integrated Kaspersky Anti-Virus (available now at additional cost).

NOTE- Untrusted Sites: Sites that are dangerous, but you may want to visit anyway, can be marked as untrusted. If you then choose to visit such sites, OA performs extensive validations such that potentially dangerous content is automatically removed.

By the way, Stem (one of the FW experts who posts frequently here at Wilders) is one of the main beta testers of OA's firewall. OA's process guard & surfing guard have used white/black-lists for a long time now. Some aspects of OA's soon-coming free firewall also are white/black-list based. I will use just one aspect of OA's firewall (OAFW) in order to illustrate my understanding as to GENERALLY how white/black-lists function within OA's various modules. . .

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks bellgamin, but I hope you mentioned all that for the rest of the posters as I am a beta tester for all Online Armor versions as well. I am an active tester for the firewall at the moment and I am aware of all the potentials that all Online Armor versions have. :D

dja2k

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have already explained in the past that I am unhappy with the f-secure resource usage and want to try fsis2007 and see if its any better and if it is how much better and lighter. if not i will get antivir suite and either prevx1 or online Armour. i still like kav but im worried it could dont a bad update again. or have they implemented something so it doesnt do that anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.