Online Armor

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alex_s, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I'm old OA user (not currently, unfortunately). Can anybody tell me what new/interesting happened to Online Armor after it was taken by Emsisoft?

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Umm, it's light, very few alerts, option to run unknown and known programs as "Run safer" which runs it with limited rights. New GUI. Still near the top on Matousec tests. Overall very good still. Emsisoft didn't hurt it.

3. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Good to emsisoft not to hurt it (kudos) :) But is there anything _really_ new/interesting? What you have reported is nothing but a tuning. to be up-to-date you need more than tuning, you need to come up with the new features. btw, as far as I know OA was exluded from matousec competition (I cannt find it on matousec list). Do you know what happened?

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Alex, I think it's still an excellent, viable firewall/HIPS package.

I hadn't been able to use it for the last several versions due to excessive and prolonged CPU usage by oasrv.exe

About six days ago I decided to give the latest version a try and it is now running much more quietly with my overall RAM and CPU usage at virtually the exact same levels as with Comodo FW or PrivateFirewall.

Most of the features that I've come to rely on and love are the same or similar to when you were associated with the app and have either been maintained or improved in terms of the overall integration with the OS.

I think that the alerts have become a bit more comprehensive overall with a variety of options presented.

Overall, I'd just say that it remains a great security app without incorporating too many features or becoming overly complex for most users.

In my experience it's been the most intuitive FW/HIPS to work with and employ.

As to Matousec, that is really old news, Alex, and I'm sure you are aware that there is a contention that OA owed money for testing going back to (I believe) the Mike Nash days with OA which Emsisoft did not feel it was their obligation to pay after they took over. Someone with more knowledge might clarify further.

I sincerely hope your intention here, Alex, isn't to stir the pot for no other reason than your personal grievance with the company. I have great respect for both you and what you helped create with OA and would hate to see this thread spiral out of control.

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You can't imagine how you pleased my _SELF_, thank you :)

But what I'm concerned of is development. You cannot rely too long on the old deeds and cosmetic changes. Tomorrow comes much faster than you expect it (as a rule). What I see, most competitors were actually developed (outpost, comodo, privatefw, etc), while OA was just "tuned" :(

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

as OA seems fine tuned it looks that any concerns are merely subjective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.