Online Armor Settings

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DVD+R, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Can anyone shed some light on how to stop Online Armor from asking permissions dozens of times during installing programs o_O I was installing Cyberlink PowerDVD update and it asked for permission about 15 times for numerous processes :doubt: I thought that once you clicked on trust and remember my decision, that was it, it wouldnt ask again, but who was I kidding :ninja: Its not just with powerDVD it done it with other programs I've installed too, I ended up disabling it altogether untill I'd finished installing I go so bored with clicking accept constantly :rolleyes: Also web browsing seems a little sluggish, how do I fix all this ? *puppy*

2. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

When installing a program with severall processes OA may alert you often because the processes have different names. So if you click "Trust" for the first process, since the second one will have another name OA will not recognise it. To get around this (but only if you are sure the program is legitim) right click OA's tray icon and click "Learning Mode". Don't forget to uncheck learning mode after you finish installation.
    As to the browsing beeing sluggish try disabling Web Shield and see if it helps.

3. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Isn't there an "installer" option which you can check when you install a program for the first time?

4. T-RHex

T-RHex Registered Member

If you put it in "Learning Mode" (available from the right-click menu off the system tray icon) it will trust any activity while in the mode. Remember to turn it off once you're done or I believe it will stay on indefinitely, effectively bypassing OA's protection. I don't use it myself since I don't like the idea of "trusting everything" ... instead I usually trust the first popup for the installer and check the installer option (I forget the actual wording).

5. Morro

Morro Registered Member

When i tried OA last year i checked that box as well when possible, but even then it often popped up again. And if i remember correctly at several times it popped up with the same warning/question as before. I understand that every computer is different so to speak but OA was driving me nuts with it's pop ups after just one week. At that point i simply removed OA from my HD.

Mind you though that i am not trying to say that OA is bad program...it is just not for me.

6. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

That was a problem with version 4.5 first releases. It pop-upped insane amount of times (compared to normal OA behavior) during installs and force some people to stop using it (me included). Now those problems seems to be fixed and marking executable as Installer gets rid of all or almost all pop-ups.

7. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Well in that case i might try OA again ones my current AIS license expires. :)

8. andrewf

andrewf Registered Member

Actually it does not TRUST everything, but allows the actions it'd ask via popups while not in Learning Mode.

There's a definite difference between Trusting a program and allowing its actions. If you'd trust a program in OA then (assuming you're using default settings) you should not get any popups for this program at all.

As for the issue with numerous popups while running an installer:
    Trust the installer program and mark it as installer (Programs->Double-click a program->tick the "Installer" checkbox) and you shouldn't receive numerous popups while this installer installs a program.

Best regards,
    Andrey.

9. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

RHex,

Agree... it is a dangerous setting if you forget to turn it off. It should instead work for that one action, then turn itself off automatically.

10. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I've just installed the free version of OA as my one year license of OA premium has expired. I do notice that sometimes there's not an option for installer mode, then you get tons of pop ups.

11. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

Can you give us some examples of installers that doesn't have installer option?

12. zongamin

zongamin Registered Member

I believe that Learning Mode is the solution to this - I've had the same problem with Online Armor before - to the extent that I still can't decide if I'm going to bother keeping it.

I recently installed LibreOffice, and despite clicking the 'Install' checkbox I had at LEAST 20 popups as every piece of the office suite was installed. Learning mode should stop this from happening.

It would be nice if after say, the third or fourth popup in a row it would prompt something like 'Online Armor has detected that you may be installing new software - would you like to enter Learning Mode for the next few minutes to prevent excessive popups. Only select yes if you are sure the software is from a trusted source.....' something like that anyway.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I agree, it's got so annoying, that I'm sure if I was a maniac, I would have gone on a murder rampage by now its that frustrating :D In fact i gor so frustrated with it, I ended up yelling at my g/f, she said If I did that again cause of my stupid computer, she would bitch slap me back to Boston :eek: but the thing is I dont come from Boston :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.