Online Armor resource question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Belindaa, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belindaa

Belindaa Registered Member

I'm getting better at understanding all this stuff and checked out this forum today for the first time, so I installed Online Armour.
    But after looking at it in the task manager, it sure does seem resource hungry
    with
    oacat.exe eating 1,936K
    oahlp.exe eating 1,024K
    oasrv.exe eating 8,192K
    oaui.exe eating 8,192K

I used to use Comodo and it hovered around 12,000K total.

I'm running this on my Dell Inspiron XP with 1gig RAM.

I wanna keep the resources being used at a minimum.
    Is this normal for Online Armour?
    Thank you

2. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Yes this is normal, about 20meg. I have used both and think both are really good. You can't go wrong with either. Comodo throws in an AV also. I'm using OA right now and I'm quite happy with the usage. I have it running on my win XP pro 1G laptop and it runs super. I also have it on my Vista Home PC with 3G of ram and it runs great there as well.

Ice

3. Belindaa

Belindaa Registered Member

If I ever use Comodo again, it'll be without the AV, since I'm a big fan of AntiVir.
    But thank you for the reply. :)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Doesn't sound hungry to me, it leaves free more than 98% of your available RAM. Have you have tried to see how much IE or WORD consume?

Everything is relative and you always have to look at it in a proportional way. Also consider that memory consumption does not necessarily mean light operations.

Cheers,
    Fax

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

To get better understanding you need to know that the figures you ask of do not display actual memory usage, they only display a current working set. To see actual memory usage you need to see "Private bytes" if you use Process Explorer, or "Virtual memory" if you use XP TM, or "Memory - Commit size" if you use Vista TM. You also need to take in account CPU time, you also need to remember that any hooking security distributes some additional resources among the other processes, for example the firewalls like to add some CPU time to "System" process when they do packet filtering. HIPSes do like to add some CPU time to EVERY process in a system, because the hooks work in a context of the other processes.

PS. And if you take all these in account you have a chance to get some very partial picture of the actual resources usage :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OA developers are improving its program, but I still find that more should be done to have more stability and speed...

Every new version they are getting better on this matter, so...

7. gery

gery Registered Member

i am running the free version at my desktop in my office with only 512 mb ram and it is working fine alongside AVAST FREE and A2 antimalware paid . But i am having probs with my laptop. Can not install it:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.