Online Armor new public beta

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Not true. I know how to use OA. I know about the trusted and show trusted. But it does not scan everything in your start menu and this has been an issue since the beginning. Even though it knows and trusts program it still asks you.

2. Dieselman

Hey Mike if you need a guinea pig I guess I will be it.

3. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

What Mike did mean is _logging_ version of OA (specially compiled debug mirror for the regular build). Another point is firewall logging. You can keep it turned off in any case.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I never had too many popups with OA and this is what I like it for. But .. there is a lot of the different situations which can hardly be predicted. Though, there is a very easy way to go - learning mode.

5. Dieselman

I got it. Its a debugging version to try and pin point the problems with gaming and OA.But isnt this what OA's own beta team is suppose to do. WOW is free to download and free for 14 days if you pick it up at Gamestop. Not exactly my job to find bugs in a firewall. If thats the case then I want the full free version.

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

can't wait till it goes vista, I'll be all over it...

7. Dieselman

Tried learning mode. Even after it learns things it still prompts you at times.

8. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I think learning mode is meant to be left on for a few days to give it an opportunity to learn everything. For me the beauty of OA has been how few pop-ups I get. Do you have a lot of processes starting up at boot?

9. Dieselman

No I keep my msconfig well trimmed. Only NOD32, Comodo and my Logitech gaming software ( G15 Keyboard and G7 mouse ). The problem is I have over 200 apps. About 20 are games. I takes awhile to learn all them and I also change my pc around alot using Windowblinds and I change my screen saver about once a week.

10. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

That's a lot of apps!! I think I have about 50 and OA scans them all. I then just trusted all the ones it missed (that I trusted myself). I'm not sure why OA is not scanning all your apps - maybe there is an upper limit. How many does it scan/miss?

11. Dieselman

If you go into there forums this has been a problem since build .31. There is no limit from I know of. I heavily use my pc. I might try OA again but for now I am hooked on Comodo cause its all free and not limited. I also like finding things by icons and not just names since I have so many apps. It takes awhile to scroll through everything but its easier to find an icon. ZA even has icons listed with names.

12. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Beta team is not hired team. Almost all the teamers are _commercial_ users who like OA and wanna help it, but nobody can force anybody to install something. Thus happened, that there is not any WOW player inside OA betateam. At least I personally do not know just a single one. As for me, I'll hardly install WOW or any other such a game to my computer. I have it for work and I'm just out of that age :)

PS. If it was 10-15 years ago, then who knows :)

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Sure it does. But could you be more specific ? If you do you'd help to diagnoze and fix the problem, if you just saying "there is something somewhere ..." it is hardly can help.

14. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

This starts to look so GOOD! Now I must have to buy this to test Full Beta version.

-MikeNAS

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

16. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

What I really like to see is cheaper license which can only be used with beta versions. New "real" releases comes so rarely and new beta versions comes so often.

17. Dieselman

10 Million people play WOW. I built a gaming machine thats what I am going to do on it. I am 38 years old and love to game. Nothing wrong with that but yes if your gonna make a product then you should make sure its compatible on all ends. There is nothing wrong with having somebody get a free copy of WOW and try it out. EVGA employees ( Nvidia card makers ) all play the most recent games so they can diag driver problems. I have posted this problem to Mike since version .31 and so have others and nothing is done about it.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Key work is employees. Beta testers aren't employees. The each test in their own environment, and test different aspects. I suppose you could PM Mike Nash, and ask him if he'd like a hardcore gamer as a beta tester.

See what you don't realize is a lot of folks don't have an easy way to reset their machines after installing something so they don't want to install something thats hard to get rid off.(they should though). I do, but it takes time to download WOW, install it test, and then to a restore to get rid off it afterwards(I don't want to leave it on my machine). I don't have the time to do that.

Pete

19. Dieselman

Understood. Actually only takes about an hour to install and set up WOW after all the patching is done.

20. Diver

Diver Registered Member

What a bunch of dreamers with Vista and all sorts of feature requests. Let them finish the project on their terms. Its a good concept as it is. If they added every thing on every wish list, it will never get done and be a bloated mess.

21. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

That's seems like a nice, and fair idea on the surface - but I think after a long delay to the first build of OA2 (where we went to kernel mode, and firewall), we released already one update and are days away from the second. There are also other things that you will start to see (like OASIS) which will make the updates more frequent.

The current release is stable enough, so we don't want to (tempting as it is sometime) to rush out a new version in response to every issue.

We're between a rock and a hard place - release more frequently, and we'll be accused of "not getting it right before release" - release less frequently and we don't release enough or are "always in Beta".[*]

I've gradually gotten used to the fact that we'll be criticised no matter what we do, and so, unless our customers start to complain we will continue with our approach "release when it's ready". Even with this approach, we will find post-release bugs - but they should be much reduced.

Anyone who wants leading/bleeding edge can always take a beta, as I think we might continue our practice of making some of them publically available - but the folks at home who just purchased OA to protect them don't expect unstable updates to come down the pipe on auto update.

Mike

[*] Just a note - since OA is continuously improved, we will always have a beta :)

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey Mike. I don't care how long OA stays in beta as long as it prevents malware and you don't start charging people in the event they get infected using it, like another "free" security program some are using. LOL. Also, Although it has truly been a long wait for the new release, I would think this one should be so good that there won't be a need for another one right away, right? You know, like some other "free" security program some are using, that now after its second or third release still has some small annoyances that apparently allow novice users to effectively lock themselves out of their PC's because of an error on their part. LOL.

23. Dieselman

Why dont you read this Wordward. Comodo isnt at fault for the lock out.Check your own post.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198877

Also read here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=199420

24. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Is anyone noticing a pattern here? I post my personal opinions on things, and Dieselman gets angry. LOL. Anyway, my point is that OA isn't hiding anything by asking money for a quality security program, and yet offers a pretty decent free one with free support, and as far as I see very, very, few problems. I'm not saying that Mike doesn't like or even enjoys making money, but it seems he's up front about what his goals are for the program, and works day and night to help people with any problems that do occur. I just don't see this happening with Comodo as of late, but maybe this will change who knows. Until then I can't help but to get behind a program and a person that I truly think has both his and my best interests at heart, and so far Mike and OA has done nothing to make me think other wise, where as Melih and Comodo has. That's all. Now go play your games with your favorite choice of security programs, and quit worrying what I have to say about mine.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Time out!!!!! This thread is about Online Armor's new public beta, not about Comodo vs OA.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.