Online Armor Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheKid7, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Is the latest version of Online Armor Free compatible with Windows 7 RC? If not "officially" compatible, will it work properly if the installation is done in Windows 7 RC Compatibility Mode (Windows Vista)?

Thank you.

2. bollity

bollity Registered Member

online armor do not support windows 7 till now

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

The Firewall component didn't work for me. HIPS though was working fine.

There's a list here of what is, and what isn't working with Win 7.

4. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Can someone provide an unbiased and objective view of the reliability of OA Free vs CIS, preferably someone with a year's experience running each product.
    I just can't tolerate software that crash, unless I have to. :shifty:

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

difficult unless they ran them concurrently on 2 different machines :)
    and even if they did, lets assume one rarely crashed it does not mean it will not crash the moment you put it on yours. Otherwise I like OA, runs well

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I am somewhat tentative comparing both of these incase someone disagrees and rips my comments to shreds. But this is what I found with both.

Reliability ... I don't think there is a problem with either. I speak as someone that uses both applications on different gaming machines and neither gives me problems. Comodo's file size is a little offputting when you compare the two, you'd think as it is much bigger it would be hogging greater resources, but I can assure you it doesn't lag in anyway. No drag on resources at all with either. I have had problems with other HIPS programs but these two are definitely least restrictive. Can't seperate either.

The only pitfall with Comodo, in comparison to OA, are the amount of pop-ups, IMO. The popups can be quite annoying and unless you really understand and implement Install Mode/Learning properly this can cause you the problems with stability. I have locked myself out of the OS by denying something, or adjusting security setting, I can't remember exactly what I did now but that is the only time something major happened with Comodo. Clean PC mode will reduce popups.

I do think OA's gui is much simpler and better thought out than Comodo's. For the first couple of weeks you find yourself going back/forth adjusting how you want everything to work and it can be frustrating having to search for what you're looking for with Comodo. Another thing, OA has a nicer active connections display, it beats Comodo's hands down. Comodo's active connection display is pretty poor (maybe they have changed in new version) ... It definitely doesn't match up to OA's. Not a big deal, I know, but just a nicer touch.

OA just beats Comodo, for me, IMO ... in its usability. I think that is all it comes down to with these two. You just need to put in more time with Comodo to suss it out fully.

Tally Ho!

7. subset

subset Registered Member

What's the point of hijacking this thread? :p
    Just click "new thread" to start your vs futility.

Cheers

8. Wildest

Don't worry, haha, I have saved all your PMs, thanks, just in case someone might be interested in it someday.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Good Point. Lets stay on topic here which is OA Free. If you want to compare, then yes, start another thread.

Pete

10. Wildest

The title of this thread is Online Armor Free.
    If I were in a human language forum and I understood only English, but I wanted to understand German, I would go to a forum that said "German" and ask if anyone spoke both English and German fluently.
    I want to know about Online Armor Free and that is what this thread is? o_O

11. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Guys quick question :

Does OA free (or even paid for that matter) have a silent mode type setting? What I mean is, have it scan (or something) the hard drive and auto allow all present exes but flag you (or auto deny) if any new exes try to run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.