Online Armor free / Winpatrol

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gambla, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Hi,
    i'm a fan of good old Winpatrol but since i us Online Armor free, i thought i don't need it anymore. However i got some doubts. Are all functions of WP covered with OA ? Am i correct ?

thank you,
    gam

2. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I still use WinPatrol PLUS with Online Armor (Free) since it alerts to some things that you won't necessarily get a message from OA about...

For instance: WP will let you know about changes to your hosts files.

More importantly for me personally is that WP will alert when a new program wants to auto-start with Windows. (OA will not do this for programs that are already installed, allowed and trusted. You'll have to check for them and change their status if desired.)

So, while WP may not be essential and some features may be somewhat redundant, I still find it a useful tool to be used in concert with OA and for me the combination of tools and alerts available with both of them working in tandem is hard to beat.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I also find WP useful tool and a great addition to any other security software

4. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Thank you Blues7 and Cudni,
    i think i'll reinstall it too. It's a light wight tool and i'm curious for any messages not covered by OA.

best regards,
    gam

5. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

You can use both, they compliment each other very well. Plus WP is very light.

Best Regards,
    Ziaul

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I though OA also took care of hosts files changes (Theres a Hosts file tab in the configurations) :D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for the premium version yes:thumb:

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Ohhh i didn't know it was only in the premium version :D

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Noob, I don't believe that OA manages the hosts files any longer (in the most recent versions).

What it does is alert you to any programs (such as HostsMan) that make updates/changes to the hosts file so that you can decide to allow that program to do so (or not).

Since I've already allowed HostsMan in OA, if it makes a change of any sort I receive no alert...but WinPatrol pops up to let me know that a change has been made to the hosts file and gives me the option to allow or deny. (You can disable this or any other alert in WinPatrol if it is unwanted.)

Not a huge issue for me either way...but the auto-start issue is a big one and there are some other nice areas that WinPatrol monitors and alerts to that make it a nice complement to OA.

A great tandem imho. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.