Online Armor and Threatfire??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chinook9, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Because of everything good I've read about Threatfire I'm considering adding it to my security mix. HIPS in TF is supposed to be really good and I haven't read anything either good or bad about the HIPS in OA free.

Anyone have an recommendations??

I am using a firewall in my router that passes ShieldsUp 100% along with OA free, Comodo Memory firewall, Spyware Doctor, AntiVir Premium and KeyScrambler. I've also been considering Sandboxie but haven't done it yet.......Yeh, I know this may be overkill but I'm retired and I've got plenty of time to play with this stuff.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Overkill...............thats beyond overkill I say. Why are you so parinoid. Running a good AV and OA is fine. OA has hips and TF has hips. Stick with OA. Dump SD and key scammbler. Comodo is another good choice to use along side your Antivir.

3. subset

subset Registered Member

You can play with a lot of stuff, possibly even at the same time.
    But does it make sense for beeing protected, I disbelieve.

AntiVir Premium and OA free for realtime protection.
    AV + HIPS + PF is sure enough (OA HIPS is strong BTW, even in OA Free).
    And a Spyware- and a Rootkit-Scanner on demand.

Cheers

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I run OA paid w/Antivir Personal Premium. They get along well.
    I tried this with the addition of TF free andhad nothing but headaches. Was told on another forum that OA and TF don't mingle well.
    Also, I too use Snoop Free Privacy Shield anti keylogger.
    WHat one doesn't get the other does.
    Hugger

5. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I use SAS Free as on-demand AS, but what would be a good on-demand rootkit-scanner?

6. subset

subset Registered Member

Good is a difficult category.

Easy to use category:
    AVG AntiRootkit, F-Secure Blacklight, Trend Micro Rootkit Buster.

Difficult to use category:
    GMER, Rootkit Revealer, Rootkit Unhooker.

Even the easy to use rootkit-scanners produce strange false positives, like AVG AntiRootkit comes up with daemon tools hidden driver as a rootkit.
    Therefore I always use two to check back.

Cheers

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hello, I will suggest to drop SpywareDoctor and Comodo Memory Guardian and to add ThreatFire instead.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Must be nice to be retired :D Looking forward to that day myself :cool:
    Suggestions you ask, well I would dump SD. Havent tried it for a good long time but remember not being very impressed with it.
    Sandboxie is an excellent app. If it would work with GeSWall i'd use it full time.
    Nothing wrong with checking out other security apps to see how they work and such but if you don't already have one I would suggest some kind of restore software, just in case. The BSOD can happen so be ready.
    I tried Threatfire 3 or 4 differant times and each time it runs fine for a couple of days then runs 100% cpu and locks up my system, so i'm done with that one.
    Happy testing.

Paranoid........Paranoid.........Nobuddys Paranoid in here. o_O

9. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

Actually I had quite problems running Threatfire and OA on my machine. My PC hang up directly at startup, and the only solution was to uninstall one of them. There are also sever posts on issues with OA and Threatfire in the OA, wilders, pctool, etc forums ...

10. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

I had problems uninstalling OA when I had TF on the same computer it wouldn't uninstall all the way and left things behind eventually I had to uninstall TF reinstall OA then uninstall OA,

but that was after TF sent out that update that people were having problems with so that might not happen anymore,

I'm using CFP w/Defense+ I don't have TF or OA so I don't know how well they work now.

11. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

I had CFP and Treatfire running for some time (actually only a few hours), and I did not found any problems (at least nothing that hang up my pc)
    Anyway, I found CFP more useful, and Treatfire had to go *puppy*

12. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thanks for all the input. Was able to get Agnitum Outpost Pro free of charge so I went with it without Threatfire...probably switch to Comodo 3 in a year. Using Sandboxie on one machine and looking for something more user friendly for my Vista laptop.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.