Online Armor 4.5 Officially Released ( x64 support!)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by subratam, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Thanks!

On an unrelated note, if I shut down OA, is the windows firewall still active (XP)?

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

At one time this was not the case but I believe it got fixed.

The debate at the time was should a 3rd party FW turn a windows service back on? The argument for turning windows FW on again was "well, if your SW turned off the lights in favour of the 3rd party product the user should be protected by having them turn it back on."

Try it your self and find out.

3. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

The windows security center applet said the windows firewall is on even when OA is running; thats why I was curious.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

quick couple of questions-
    does the free version have the run in safe mode or whatever it's called for downloaded files (restricted rights)?

also does the free version allow for the import of a blacklist of web sites, esp. for ads and banner ads?

is there any way for the web shield in either the free or paid version to filter flash based cookies and other tracking cookies?

thanks

5. Escalader

That is not good news! Users should NOT have 2 FW's active at the same time.

Suggest you check windows services see if Win FW is really ON. Then no matter what it says make it startup type = manual and make status stopped.

Then reboot and see if both OA and Win FW are both on.
    Then please report

Next close OA, and see if Windows FW comes on, report.

Then restart OA and see if Win FW turns off., please report.

If you see these "bugs" report them to vendor.

6. Escalader

Good question for OA vendor forum.:D

7. tookerjeff

tookerjeff Registered Member

Hi all,

Currently trying out the much anticipated 64bit version of Online Armor ++ (full suite) Anyone else having issues with the firewall not responding the first time when trusting or allowing & trusting a program? It will keep doing it's pop up thing which is getting pretty annoying fast. Also, will keep popping up when Windows is in the middle of uninstalling software. Is there something I can tweak so it will eventually let the uninstall run it's course completely instead of constantly having to click allow?

Anyway, other thoughts/experiences about the while suite in general so far? Have only found a sort of YouTube vid review so far...

Otherwise, looks promising. A little "buggy" since it just came out though. OASIS needs to be a little bit updated...

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are you clicking 'remember my decision' as well as 'allow'?

9. subratam

subratam Registered Member

OA does not allow importing sites blacklists at all.
    As for the RunSafer feature - I guess it's available in Free version, just right-click an executable and see if there's a "Open Safer" or "Open Normal" context menu item )
    there should be the "cookie cutter" feature however it's not guaranteed to catch all the cookies

10. subratam

If you are just allowing the program, it means allowing to run and not allowing to do everything. Its a common misunderstanding between what's allow and what;s trust.
    Regarding uninstaller - trust the uninstaller program and mark it as "Installer".
    (right-click appropriate entry in OA programs list->advanced options->tick the "Installer" checkbox) then OA'd treat it as installer and won't ask much about the things this program's doing
    as for OASIS - yes... we're currently thinking about how to automate "trusting" the files in it...or "untrusting"

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would confirm by opening the Windows Firewall applet directly. The security center in XP gets confused sometimes. If it's on just turn it off (and check it after the next reboot).

12. acr1965

ok thanks for the info

13. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

How do I block Multicast addresses with OA?

14. tookerjeff

tookerjeff Registered Member

hi stapp,

yes, but for some reason there seems to be the same popup again once or twice. Is this happening to anyone else? Also, regarding the antivirus twin engine, is it pretty decent? (Is it Emsisoft and Ikarus?) What about removal?

I have not been able to find much info on the av engine, and that goes for the review of OA++ itself. :/ Anyway other than that so far I really like it. :)

15. subratam

16. acr1965

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Since when does OA not allow a blacklist? I've been using a blacklist for a long time with OA. It can be downloaded her as already stated by Acr1965. http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=1

18. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

There is indeed an option to import a blacklist in OA Premium and OA++
    The blacklist tab only shows in advanced mode, that's why it isn't available in OA Free ;) .

advancedmode.png

Imported blacklist from CoU

blacklist.png

If needed you can edit the list

blacklistedit.png

I guess subratam was thinking about the Hosts part of OA which was changed in version 4.0.0.44

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  19. acr1965

OK thanks for the info about the blacklists. Which blacklist is recommended? Any besides the one from CoU? Or will the CoU blacklist suffice? I am mainly interested in blocking ads, especially banner ads at the firewall level. Any blacklists do this that are updated regularly?

20. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

acr1965,

I don't know if there are any good ip blacklists to block ads. I'm using a modified hosts file and don't see ads on the websites i visit regularly.

21. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

For some reason after upgrading to OA 4.5 I couldn't access 'Control Panel' and 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer'. This was in XP Pro SP2.

I had to revert using 'System Restore'(Luckily it worked ...).

Attached Files:

22. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Could this be related to a .LNK vulnerability fix in OA, or other software with the fix, conflicting with OA ?

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I haven't a clue.

I can't get the official .LNK vulnerability fix from Microsoft because I an still On XP SP2, and I don't know about the OA fix, which I guess it would not apply to OA 4.0.0.45.

24. acr1965

OK. I presume that the IP blocklist for malicious url's would be similar to what already is present in Avast and MBAM paid? I need a firewall that blocks ads.

25. Escalader

Well, you need to block ads etc but do you insist it is the FW that does that?:D

You sound like a candidate for PeerBlock 1.0. It can block ads and much more independanlty from any FW. THus if the user changes FW's (as they do) your blocking list remains constant.

See attached:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.