Ongoing problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrfargoreed, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Here's the problem - every day I have to restore my Primary Snapshot. Everything on my machine is perfectly fine. Transferring files from both hard drives is fine. The system runs nice and quick.

Throughout the day all I really do is use Firefox, Utorrent and possibly Newsleecher. Everything is still fine until I reboot into the Primary Snapshot. When I do, my system is at a crawl - startup is slow, transferring files from both hard drives takes forever. It's getting to the stage that I'm restoring my Primary every morning now.

I've checked the Utorrent forums and adjusted my connection settings in case this was causing the problem, but it makes no difference.

I'm totally baffled by this. As soon as I restore, everything is perfect again, but I don't really do enough in a day to make substantial changes to my C: drive to slow it down so much.

My system is defragged regularly with PerfectDisk, I delete all junk files with CCleaner and maintain my system pretty rigidly.

I'm not saying it's an FD-ISR problem, but does anybody else have to do the same thing? Is it normal to restore the Primary Snapshot every day due to system slowdown, especially when every other snapshot is running perfectly (including my Primary copy with all security apps)?

At this moment, for example, everything is perfect. Soon I will start Utorrent, Firefox and that's about it. I'll leave the machine running away and turn the thing off in the evening. Simple as that.

The main problem is a painfully slow system, which only a few hours earlier was perfectly ok.

Any advise greatly welcomed (although I asked a similar question a few weeks ago but the problem still persists and I'm unable to find a solution apart from Utorrent possibly affecting FD-ISR?)

Many thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure why you think Utorrent is affecting FDISR, when FDISR solves the problem. Only way to tell that for sure is take FDISR off and see what happens. But you better have either an image or FDISR archive to get your system back.

Pete

3. mrfargoreed

I'm sure you're right Peter2150 as all other snapshots are fine except the one running Utorrent. However, I guess I just felt it was easier to ask here as opposed to on the Utorrent forum and explain all about FD-ISR on there. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences problems with Utorrent and FD-ISR - perhaps the way that Utorrent fragments files affects FD-ISR? Sounds odd as all my downloads are on a separate drive, but the problem is just plain strange.

I am also running Comodo firewall which displays traffic via a red and green arrow in the system tray. Everything is fine (while running Utorrent and all other apps) until I reboot. Then the arrows are 'stuttering', the snapshot runs slow and file copying take forever. The real hassle is that once this happens, the snapshot doesn't recover and file copying never returns to normal speed.

I'll keep on trying to solve this mystery. It's probably something very simple but I'm totally lost.

I will try what you suggested and uninstall FD-ISR and see what happens.

Thanks Peter2150 :thumb:

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Interesting, I have a system on a laptop thet runs utorrent and fd-isr, and have never experienced anything like this. I'm not a heavy torrent user mind you. Rougly how much are you downloading in how often?
    It's true these type of programs fragment the hell out of your drive, but as long as you are manitaining a good defrag regime I don't see that that should be an issue.

5. mrfargoreed

I suppose I run Utorrent about 8 hours a day - sometimes more, sometimes less. I download fairly large files and I defrag my drives regularly (once a week at least on the partition I use to store my downloaded files). My Primary Snapshot is mainly used for P2P and web browsing.

Have you never experienced slow copying of files from one drive to another? Perhaps it is a problem somewhere else. Perhaps it is Comodo instead?

What puzzles me is that the problem only appears after I've run Utorrent. Last week I didn't run Utorrent for a couple of days and my Primary Snapshot remained perfect - no slowdowns or copying delays.

I guess I could freeze my snapshot seeing as all my data is on another partition? That might solve something (although I would have to copy my Utorrent files from Application Data every time I restart the machine).

With Peter2150's idea and perhaps freezing my Primary maybe I can find a workaround.

6. tradetime

I wouldn't even come close to this, so I maybe of little help here in comparison, also the box I use that setup on has a frozen snapshot, torrent files and downloads going into an anchored folder.
    I am however loaning that computer out for a while, so I have installed utorrent to my recreation snap on my main desktop, this is not a frozen snapshot, (XP with Comodo) though I do run under Returnil on it, so for all intents and purposes I guess you could say it is frozen. I won't be able to recreate your download frequency though, but I will monitor it closely for any changes and post back.

Do you save the torrents and resultant files outside of the snapshot, or inside and copy out, this may have some bearing?

7. mrfargoreed

Sorry for the late reply tradetime - I save temporary and completed torrents to my second hard drive.

I, too, was going to try a frozen snapshot, but am going to use Returnil instead to see if the problem persists. :thumb:

8. tradetime

Under those conditions I really can't see why there would be a problem (though that means little or nothing :) )
    Essentially utorrent is just another application working within the snapshot, with torrents and files saved outside it shouldn't be any different from any other. what you describe would almost suggest that it changes the snapshot somehow I will try and download some stuff and see what happens

9. mrfargoreed

I know - it's very strange. It's almost as though Utorrent and perhaps FD-ISR and/or Comodo (?) have a conflict and that problem is somewhere on my C Drive. I'm currently running Utorrent under Returnil with my usual setup. Tomorrow, when I reboot, I will be able to see if anything has changed, which will mean that something, somewhere, is usually being saved onto my Primary Snapshot.

Thanks for your help here tradetime. I don't even mind if I can't work out what's going on, although that would be very useful, so long as I can find a way around it. If it means protecting my snapshot with Returnil then that's fine by me. I can work with that and just update things before I start using Utorrent.

:thumb:

10. mrfargoreed

After a day of using my Primary Snapshot for downloading with Utorrent, browsing with Firefox and also downloading from newsgroups with Returnil's session lock on, the problem seems to have disappeared, so I can only assume that the problem, somewhere, is to do with Utorrent. With session lock on my system returns to normal as it was before I started downloading - a perfectly clean and unused snapshot.

Today I have booted into the snapshot, taken off Returnil's protection and copying files is normal, fast speeds. Very odd.

I will now just turn on Returnil whenever I download anything as this is clearly causing a conflict.

This again shows the brilliance of FD-ISR. My machine is not ruined as I can just copy over my Primary Snapshot and start again without hours of formatting, reinstalling operating systems and downloading updates. It has also allowed me to discover (as much as I know how to) the problem and work out roughly what is causing my machine to run so slowly.

Another example of why FD-ISR is the best piece of software ever. In my own opinion. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.