One Q and one problem after reviewing trial TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cxjp954, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cxjp954

cxjp954 Registered Member

Have just been trialling the trial download of TI 8, basically like it, but have one problem (with a 'why is it so' question), and one tech question before try the next test.

Problem.
    My Disk1 (Boot) is dual boot, has Win98 parttion, WinXP partition, and a data partition. I want daily incremental backups of the data partition and full backups for the op system partitions so I can blow either away and restore it, after testing under these platforms.
    Created Acronis secure zone, and created complete images of the three partitions on my disk 1 and followed with some incremental images of the data partition. Then modified the size of ASZ so that there would not be enough space for another backup. Then did a full backup of the data partition, expecting it to run out of space and delete the previous full and incrementals of the data partition I was obviously replacing, and to my horror, discovered it deleted instead, the full image of one of the op system partitions. Would have been absolutely mental if I discovered this when I had to recover that partition.

Why would it delete images of other partitions, this seems crazy!?

Tech Question.
    Having a dual boot setup, if I activate the startup recovery manager, will this affect the dual boot? Additionally, with Ghost2001 used before I created NTFS partitions, I could recover just the required partition and the system still booted, dual boot and all, will TI perform the same, don't want to have to restore the whole disk as that includes a data partition.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cxjp954,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image deletes the oldest full image and its incrementals if you create new full image and there is no space in Acronis Secure Zone. The detailed algorythm of the behaviour in case there is no space in Acronis Secure Zone is described in the User's Guide (Chapter 3, point 3.2.3).

As for imaging of a single partition, if you create and restore the image of single system partition (and not the whole disk) we cannot guarantee that you will be able to boot the disk. The reason for this is that MBR is included only into the image of the whole disk. However, if you restore the image of a single partition to the place where it was before to the same drive there are usually no problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. cxjp954

cxjp954 Registered Member

Thankyou for your reply...

My Problem is really a feedback after my evaluation of your product, which while I like and will probably buy after 2 weeks review of it's operating scheduled incremental backups, still has in my opinion a deficiency with regards to the ASZ. Regardless of the detailed algorythm of the behaviour in case there is no space in Acronis Secure Zone as described in the User's Guide (Chapter 3, point 3.2.3), that behaviour still resulted in the deletion of an image that meant I could be without a recovery image when it was required, and therefore in my opinion, the algorythm is flawed.

I do not think it acceptable that if I have taken a backup of a boot partition for use if required later to recover from corruption or rogue software installation problems etc, that I then find that image has been arbitarily deleted by the backup software!

Obviously the workaround is to make such images to disk outside of ASZ, and if using ATI to make scheduled incremental backups to ASZ, there can only be one partition or disk being backed up to ASZ to avoid the risk of loosing images of other partitions or disks.

If there is some generic strategic logic regarding backup strategies that the operation of ATI is based upon that I have missed, then please feel free to inform me as to where I am ignorant. The product still deleted a backup image that could have left me without a recovery capability. o_O

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cxjp954,

We are really sorry for your inconvenience caused by the behavior of Acronis Secure Zone. However if you want us to change the way Acronis True Image 8.0 manages the space in Acronis Secure Zone then please feel free to post your suggestion in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Please also note that there is no special "generic strategic logic regarding backup strategies", as your backup strategy usually depends on what exact goals you are planning to achieve.

I advice you to read Acronis True Image 8.0 User's Guide and maybe even review some other forum threads to get more information on how to use this software.

In case you will have any specific questions regarding the Acronis software, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.