One potential caveate relative to snapshot restorations.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Recently I've noticed a lot of interest in Rback, etc. One of the great features these programs (Rb, E-F, AyR, CTM) provide is the ability to boot into the programs by tapping the "Home" key at boot and select a restoration point if experiencing the BSOD. However, if your keyboard is a USB keyboard, your BIOS has to support the capability to power the USB ports at boot. My XP Pent 4 does not support that functionality. Fortunately I do have a PS/2 keyboard handy should I need to boot from the "Home" key. The other alternative is to purchase an AC powered USB hub (like $5 on ebay). So make sure you can enter your application's console at boot!

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thanks for this tip.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes good tip :thumb:

Apart from snapshot etc uses, but generally.

How would people be expected to get into safe mode, or set and use a bios PW etc, if they can't use a USB KB before the OS loads ? Sounds like they can't, in which case very bad design planning :(

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Both my USB Keyboard and Mouse are powered. However, sometimes the keyboard doesn't work at boot time, even I have given permission as such to legacy USB in BIOS. This is due to Microsoft giving more prominence to the old, old floppy drive than to the USB ports.

I have a regular keyboard handy too, for those times. Both keyboards are plugged in, but the PS/2 keyboard is kept on the side.

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Absolutely correct! If the keyboard also contains PS/2 logic there are - from PS/2 port to USB adapters. Unfortunately my Logitech illuminated keyboard (which I love by the way) only has USB logic. I can't even recall the last time on the desktop I needed to enter the BIOS or Safe mode. I believe if I did that even "infrequently" I'd go the way of the powered USB hub. For once a year or less I'll just whip out the PS/2. I'll probably need it today or tomorrow with a possible 17 MS updates patching a possible 64 vulnerabilities. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.