One in five parents electronically track their child's trip to school: study

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Krusty, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...ly-track-their-childs-trip-to-school/10789262

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

As a child, that would have totally freaked me out. Figuring out how to avoid being tracked would have been a priority.

But hey, Faraday bags. I could probably have figured that out ;)

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

More parents use GPS to track children but experts warn there could be consequences
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-04/digitally-tracking-kids-more-parents-use-devices/10957906

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Oh well... I suppose even so much as looking in on your sleeping son or daughter may someday be regarded by some bleeding-heart fringe folks as yet another invasion of privacy.

When a child becomes old enough to worry about such stuff as a GPS, I hope they have been taught, by that time, that the world is NOT fair and that we are all soft little fleshy puffballs living in a universe of sharp pointy objects. That's the way it is -- deal with it!

Anyhow, by the time most kids are age 9 or so, they are fully able to discover & "fool" such locator devices, but will only do so if they have not lovingly been given reasons for living a good & lengthy life.

As for a "trusting relationship," while my kids lived under my roof, they trusted me to keep them safe. And I did.

My elder daughter once expressed a dislike for curfew hours. I told her that if she ever reached a stage in her life when NO one cared when she came home, or even cared less WHETHER she came home, she would be a very very miserable human being. After that discussion, she left the room in a huff. PTL, in a few days she got the point & asked to negotiate a later curfew hour -- successfully, I might add. (^_^)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Smartwatch apps let parents keep track of their kids but data breaches mean strangers can watch them too
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...curity-bug-data-breach-personal-info/11909478

Related story:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...xt-big-privacy-nightmare.412159/#post-2886484

6. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, those stats in the first post are for Australia. I looked for comparable, modern studies for New York City and there ain't none. Certainly, children with special needs should be tracked, all of them. But mainstream kids, and at what age? All the way to the end of high school, maybe? Definitely with the child's knowledge and understanding.

New York City can be so nasty. Children of the Orthodox Jewish faith are regularly harassed, even attacked around here. Last night another child was struck on the head with a metal cane and robbed of his cell phone. He is 11 years old. So ideally, every child. It can be a question of finances, though.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Also, that first story was posted 12 months ago, so the stats may or may not still be accurate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.