One hour to "clean" a 2 years laptop running Vista...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlexC, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Tomorrow I’ll have about one hour (my lunch time!) to give back a 2 years laptop with Vista laptop some performance. The laptop will be offline and I don´t know if it’s infected or not. The owner, a co-worker, complains that the computer is very slow.

I´m thinking in something like:
    - Uninstall unwanted toolbars, check proxy settings (and use MiniToolBox to fix if needed), and HOSTS file (and use Microsoft Fix _http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034_ to reset if needed);
    - Run Ccleaner portable;
    - Run TDSSKiller and a quick scan with Emisoft Emergency Kit;
    - Use Ccleanner again to check startup entries and disable some un-necessary ones;
    - Defrag C:\ using portable Auslogics Disk Defrag.

I want things to go as fast and safe as possible (In prevention, i advised him to backup important files).

What do you guys think? any suggestion?
    Thanks!:thumb:

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think 1 hour is too short to check the machine for infections or spyware. Several scanners should give you an idea, but it takes time.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Same, it could take more than that just to scan with one scanner. I'd add MBAM if possible..and I hope this person understood not to backup files right now, but to start doing so once the system is clean.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

On second thought, if you can connect to the internet, you can try scanning with Hitman Pro which is usually quick ( around 5-10 minutes) and reliable. I still think several scanners are the best way to go.

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit is great but it's too slow for a one hour tune-up.

1) Uninstall crap
    2) Update everything
    3) Run your antimalware stuff, MBAM/SAS/TDSS Killer/ RKILL
    4) CCleaner
    5) Defrag

Keep in mind that defragging can take a while, especially on older machines. I'd say that that's all the time you have.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Problem is Hitman won't clean anything for free, and if it detects something the other scanners don't, well, you're a bit screwed.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wouldn't update anything at all until the system had been deemed clean. There's no point in updating an infected machine if, of course, infection is the issue.

9. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

I'd go with HitmanPRO.
    KOR-

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Not exactly. If you find something with Hitman Pro, you can activate the trial period of 30 days during which it'll clean any malware.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ahh, pardon me, haven't used it in some time. I think then that Hitman and MBAM would make a pretty good combo, since both scan somewhat fast. Seeing as this is a laptop, hopefully the drive isn't huge and the scan won't take so long. I'm still not certain an hour will cover it (especially if reboots/boot-time scans are needed). Maybe the person will get lucky and the thing is just bogged down by running processes or conflicts with new software.

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Would be faster reinstalling Windows, such an easy thing to do these days and my preferred chose when helping someone.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Eh, maybe, maybe not. If the person has an image stored away, I'd agree. But if we're talking one of those cases where the "restore" is actually on the drive (so many vendors do this now, and it's just plain dumb), then it'll be longer than an hour. I'd put money on that. First the restore process would have to delete everything, then go through set up, then start the long process of copying files, doing more setup, maybe setting up crapware that came with the system, and so on. Then you get to play with Windows Updates, which will for sure take longer than an hour by themselves.

The whole thing could take 3 or more hours from start to finish. Even if the OP did a restore and left updates out of it, you're still talking more than an hour almost certainly.

14. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks for replies:thumb:

I would definitely go for Hitman if i had a Internet connection...
    I'll now download the programs. I can't also forget to erase the restore points before the defrag.

If i see that the system is pretty screwed up, i'll suggest a reinstall.

@Hungryman
    In my C:\ partition with 22GB Auslogics took only about 2 or 3 min. to defrag.... But i don't know if my co-worker keeps personal files (like large videos) in C:\ , if so, the defrag may indeed take too long.

@jdd58
    Thanks for the links, i never tried Rougekiller. Seems very interesting but i don't fell comfortable to use it right now , since it appears to be a more advanced tool and i may find something unexpected, but thanks anyway.

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I've never used that, I'm talking about installing clean. FYI I remove those partitions on clean installs, gives people their HDD space back.

16. Hungry Man

Yes, a clean install is the best idea IF it's an option.

Installing lots of software (Especially pay software) could be a big pain though.

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

My 30-day Trial period is over :doubt:,
    and Hitman Pro is over, too.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't understand your statement, it seems to me a fair deal, you can use it as long as you like to detect malware, once something is found it can be cleaned by activating the trial period, and then if you still want to use it in the future you've got to buy a license.

I have it on all my computers as a scanner only. If it ever found anything (I doubt it!) I would restore an image rather than use it to clean up the mess.

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

What is so difficult to understand?
    Freeware Removal Tools,
    which simply Detect Malware but Not Remove Malware,
    is Not what I like/need.

My 30-day Trial Period is over,
    and if I want to use Hitman Pro to Remove Malware (not simply Detect Malware),
    I have two options:
    a) Buy a License.
    b) Stop using Hitman Pro.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Why don't you try to test drive a car, and when you are done tell them you want to keep the car without buying it.

21. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

IMO the trial model offered by Hitman Pro is one of the best of any vendor.

Other products just offer a simple 30 day trial,so unless you're "lucky" enough to get infected within that period you'll not get a chance to judge it's true efficacy.HMPro in allowing the trial to start post-infection is most beneficial.

As to the OP getting the laptop cleaned and running smooth in an hour,it's been my experience that the less time you have available for a job,the longer that job takes so be sure to stock up on aspirins before hand.

That said here's a couple of additional suggestions:
    http://toolbarcleaner.com/
    http://pcdecrapifier.com/

22. Hungry Man

I don't think he's knocking the trial... he's just saying that after the trial the program becomes much less useful.

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And I agree. A 30 day trial should be a 30 day trial, not a one time "We found and cleaned up an infection..now give us your money" deal. I don't know why people say it's a good thing that it's that way. How many other security software vendors have that kind of a trial?

24. guest

guest Guest

o_O Explain better.

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

And to think if this co-worker had a recent image of a known clean system, all this cleaning discussion would be a moot point. Too bad a valuable lunch hour is wasted on a disinfection that will likely result in only a partially working system (malware has probably permantly destroyed most of it) when a routine restore would put everything "right" again. A restore of a clean image erases any doubt that malware-induced problems might linger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.