Once all our cars can talk to each other, what will they reveal about us?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by TheWindBringeth, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

http://www.itworld.com/it-managemen...alk-each-other-what-will-they-reveal-about-us

One blurb I'd comment on is:
    Not knowing the details of that test I don't know if this would apply. However, it seems virtually certain to me that when such systems are deployed they *will* identify themselves via a GUID of some sort and there *will* be records that allow for VIN<->GUID lookups and by extension Registration<->GUID lookups. So as is the case with so very many existing systems, entities will likely make calming assertions about <sensitive identifier and/or info> not being transmitted or collected despite knowing full well that their use of GUIDs in combination with other information already in their possession make such assertions a "technically correct but practically speaking fraudulent" assertion. If the cars aren't explicitly designed to communicate with base stations, then receivers will be deployed across the road network likely at those locations where there are cameras. There will be a real-time surveillance capability created no matter what. Probably one that would allow someone monitoring traffic cameras to "click" on a vehicle and immediately identify its VIN, registration, and perhaps those who are inside the vehicle based on their cell phones communicating with the vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.