On The Fly Malware Boot Scan !

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spanner intheWorks, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm a little confused :doubt:

You opened a .bat file("right click on it and choose Open")....which is the same as executing it....and it ran it's batch routine....which is a normal occurence....given how you said you did it.

What the advice givers failed to add was the part about using a text editor such as Notepad to view the plain text that's contained in a batch file such as Autoexec.bat.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

It didn't really "bypass" your bios password. Your bios password is necessary right around POST time, so since you executed the batch file from within Windows, the bios password had long since been entered.

Pretty much. ;) It just checked the files running in Windows memory, probably.

Sort of. But the whole point of the scan is for it to run BEFORE Windows has a chance to load. That's when you can nail a lot of nasties, and why things like F-PROT for DOS, Avast! (under NT flavors), as well as the "reboot" scans found in Adaware and SBSD work the way they do.

Not really, because everything has loaded already. You're just doing a quick check of files that AVG is targeting at boot-time, and possibly a memory check.

That's why something like a password or ChipAway is a good idea.

;)

3. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

thats one of the best things that i find in avast-the boottime malware scan :D

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I totally agree! Wish more AV's had this functionality.

;)

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

What you saw wasn't an "instant boot scan", it was you running a DOS application within Windows, and having the application run in full-screen mode, without warning, with the resolution (most likely) changing at the same time.

I did the same thing some time during 1989, I think it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.