On-Line Armour-Ease Of Use

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Securon, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Am contemplating Subscribing too On-Line Armour. Anyone else used it on a long term basis. And what were your opinion's on it's performance? Sincerely...Securon

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use the free version & like it. Although sometimes it gets a little popup crazy during software installs. But I feel it's doing a good job. I don't think I need the paid version.

I pair it with EAM paid. Great combo imho.

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

It's always been my favorite Firewall/HIPS over the years (as long as it played nicely on my system). I've used it since the early Mike Nash days prior to Emsisoft's purchase.

I have worked with Comodo Firewall through version 5.12, PrivateFirewall and Outpost Firewall (Pro version) but always return to OA.

To me it is the most straight forward and intuitive to use and always got a perfect score on the Comodo Leak Test (which I fully understand is a bit dated these days).

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I've also been using OA free since the earlier days. It's always been my top two firewalls to use. Comodo firewall being the other one. It's HIPS is top notch and the run safer option is a nice feature. There was a while that it wasn't playing nice with chrome. So I was using comodo but vice versa since comodo ver 6 wasn't playing nicely up until a few months ago. I don't use the web shield in OA since it doesn't work in sandboxie. I know that browsing can be slowed down slightly with it working.
    I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. The free version is sufficient for most. Unless you want banking mode or file/registry protection.

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I don't think both programs where designed to complement each other. There are some overlappings with EAM and several features, which no longer seem that useful. EAM's behaviour blocker is extremely effective and way less of a nuisance than OA's HIPS. Hardly anything gets by it without at least triggering an alarm. In the latest AV-Comparatives test only 3 test cases out ot 1.109 were able to compromise the system without an alert, two of those were already fixed when the test was performed. On the other hand, OA's HIPS is not as thoroughly tested as EAM's protection, so it is very difficult to prognose if it really covers EAM's shortcomings or has the same or even bigger ones. What it certainly does, is requiring way more user interaction on your part.

Regarding Run Safer and Banking Mode, look here. The file and registry shield are actually excellent, but need to be configured properly.

For what it's worth, I'm really curious about the upcoming full internet security suite, just to see what they leave out of it.

In your case I would consider the likes of AppGuard, Sandboxie, NVT ERP, Shadow Defender. My personal favourite is AppGuard. If you are looking for a suite with an integrated HIPS, Kaspersky in interactive mode is worth a look.

I certainly wouldn't buy Online Armor now. At least wait for the suite.

Best regards

6. Securon

Good Afternoon! Thanks everyone for your valuable insights,on your experiences with the product. I tend too agree with FleischmannTV...in the respect that the Internet Suite is forthcoming to market...I suspect November...just a guess on my part...and at that point their might be changes and modifications to the product. I tend to agree at the moment some features overlap between the two...and that the engineer team at Emsisoft are hard at work what to add and subtract without compromising performance. I think I'll complete my trial with O/A and wait to see what the much anticipated Security Suite will offer. Once again many thanks for your feedback. Sincerely...Securon

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Read now the thread; I think that this is the better choice you can do. :thumb:

8. guest

guest Guest

I really love OA. So much that I would marry it. It's very easy to use, very straightforward, and works very well. They also have a built-in help file to understand its features. The popups are detailed, I really love it that it tells me about the location of the program/file which triggered the alert. And most importantly, it's stable on my PC. :thumb:

9. Securon

Good Morning! Thanks for the update Graf Zep...I'll check out the info on the help file. And I agree the info on the balloon notifications is the kind of detail I appreciate. Sincerely...Securon

10. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

I've been running OA for as long as I can remember and love it...I've tried others but keep coming back to OA...To me it's the mothership of all firewalls...Nice layout easy to use and doesn't kill you w/alerts...Once OA is under the hood w/ Emsisoft Anti-Malware this will be one hell of a suite...in my opinion.:)

11. guest

guest Guest

The help file is kinda outdated. So some of its contents might not be relevant.

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, although I use OP FW Pro myself I worked with OA for quite a while during the Mike Nash days. Much was learned and shared in the learning threads.
    As you guys say OA is high on ease of use and it is IMHO aimed at a class of user who may be less inclined to tweak rules, so that excludes me.
    At the top of this forum, there are a number of learning threads including one on OA. The links to the others are here for reference. It would take time and effort to read all these I know but it would be useful.:D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172579
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=176866
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=182158
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=189414
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=121009

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.