On-demand virus scanners

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Espresso, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I'm looking for a list of AV products, (free or paid) that can be run as an on-demand context menu scanner only with no running programs and preferably no drivers either. Avira can work in that way. Avast 4 did but Avast 5 needs to have the main UI running in the taskbar. I have an old Kaspersky 4.5 that does too (the last version to do so) but it can take a long time to start the scan.

Does anyone know of others that fit the bill?

2. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

A2 Free use Ikarus engine(signatures), that means if u install A2 free u have A2+Ikarus AV(on-demand) + right click scan.

Nod32 2.7 can do the job too!

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. Espresso

I have A2 but it requires the service running. At least it's hidden.

No, I'm looking for scanners that can be run on individual files from the Explorer context menu.

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

You can use Windows local security policy software restrictions to stop the launch of the a2 service. I was doing that for a little while using a2 portable as an on demand scanner. ClamWin will do exactly what you're looking.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Hitman Pro and malwarebytes can do context menu scans without background services running all the time. Not sure about the driver issue though.

7. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I remember Bitdefender free version. The processes run in the background all the time. And if you disable the processes whatever is in "quarantine" is allowed to function, at least phone home. That was a few years back and I made a post about it on the BD forum but I don't know if the issue was ever fixed. It never got any response from BD that I am aware.

9. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

10. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I think all of the 3 links are not appropriate (I mean the OP has some conditions) . The last link is to HitMan and DrWeb Cure it . Hitman Pro installs itself and makes some files . Dr Web creates entries in Windows Registry. I am not sure if Hitman installs drives but most likely it does

11. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

Have you considered running a portable AV as an on-demand scanner?
    I know ClamWin AV has a USB portable version that can be used for on-demand scans running from a USB thumb-drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carlos

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Hitman Pro does not scan subfolders when doing context menu scans, from what I've read.

13. Espresso

14. ratwing

ratwing Guest

If you run as administrator,at least in XP,you can disable the service with no ill effects. (maybe a slight slow down in opening.)

A-Squared free offers quite handy right click context menu scans.

If you are willing to put up with the interminable update times.

15. Espresso

No, it doesn't.

16. Espresso

I just checked and the context menu on-demand scan will not work without the service running. The program opens but nothing happens.

17. vijayind

18. vijayind

The new BD Free is based on their 2009 engine/product. If I remember correctly it puts files in encrypted archive during quarantine in BD 2009.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/BitDefender-Free-Edition.shtml

19. Espresso

I looked at the comparison graphic on this page and it had an X under the row for Vista Compatibility. I should've known it would be compatible, considering Vista has been out for 3.5 years.

20. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Avira works great as a on-demand scanner. On install, don't select the guard.
    Ice

21. andylau

andylau Registered Member

I think you are choosing AVs that have "Custom installation", which can not to install the guard or monitor.

Nowadays, most of the AVs need services or processes for updating or loading their engines, so most of them can not meet your requirements(with context menu but no running programs).

What i know that can meet your requirements may be Dr.Web and Hitman Pro.

Hope this helps,
    andylau

22. vijayind

Looks like they have not updated that page (maybe on purpose :cautious: ).

Guess Scott Adams was right about marketing.:D

23. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

if this is what you want, i certainly wouldn't choose any software that has real-time, im not a believer of 'turning off features'.

so, the choices would be the most obvious ones.

SuperAntiSpyware
    MalwareBytes
    Drweb Cureit
    HitMan Pro

best thing is, all free. (although you will need to purchase a license for Hitman should you wish to remove any infections it may find after the 30days 'removal license' it gives you, although this is 30days i think from your first removal, not from when you install it)

so, good selection for you.

24. Espresso

I need right-click scan so Cureit is offf the list (although I do have it and used it to clean up an infection I had a few months ago. Dr Web does excel at repairing files). Hitman doesn't handle subfolders and I don't care for the cloud method for a context menu scanner or the way it deals with results. SAS I already have but it's detection rate is pretty weak. MBAM , from what I hear, is weak at detections as well, although it's supposedly good at cleaning up infections.

25. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Please understand that MBAM is not an antivirus. It excels in removing trojans, rootkits, scareware, and other general malware that is currently in circulation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.