on demand scans

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, when i run spysweeper it only finds tracing cookies on the on demand scans i know this is because im a safe surfer. so what program could i run instead that is free? just for scanning. because theres no point in renewing it if i only use it for ondemand and it finds nothing. and i might change my sig because I wont really need counterspy but might get anyway dono yet. and what about online scans that remove?
    also since i will soon be using prevx its even more unlikely I will be infected.

safesurfer+antivir+prevx means virus free=priceless:)

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When SpySweeper only finds tracking cookies, it only means that it didn't find any other threats.
    SpySweeper only finds threats when they are blacklisted in its definition database. The same for Antivir.
    Scanners make you believe that your computer is clean by telling you "Congrats. No threats found." or as good as clean by reporting harmless tracking cookies.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why i run quite a few online scans including ewido, spysweeper, spybot (not very good no more) asquared etc. they all come out clean. so my plan is less real time programs.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

A lot of online scanning programs can be used just to perform on demand scanning of your PC. I think there was a message thread listing the many online websites that offered it. My signature line offers a few available. Nearly every major antivirus/antispyware/antitrojan program company offers free scanning.

5. ErikAlbert

Well guys,
    I know that good scanners have grosso modo the same definition database, otherwise they wouldn't be good scanners.
    Only the differences in the definition databases make scanners special, because they will remove threats what other scanners didn't remove.
    So there must be alot of redundancy amongst these scanners and the scan time remains the same, because each scanner doesn't know what other scanners already scanned, detected and removed.
    They only way to avoid that redundancy is to combine all definitions in ONE database and remove the doubles, but that won't happen due to competition amongst the many scanner companies.

So the scan time increases constantly by two facts :
    - the scan time of each scanner increases due to definition database updates
    - the total scan time of all used scanners increases due to redundancy.
    The worst is that it can't be improved by the users and scanner companies are not willing to improve it either.
    So the total scan time only gets bigger and bigger until nobody has the time to run them anymore.
    The only thing users can do is to run lesser scanners = lesser detections/removals of threats = more threats on our computers.
    Did you ever calculate the total time you spend on scanners ?

That's why I'm looking for a solution without scanners. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well prevx is almost without scanners except startupscan.

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I see in your signature: Prevx1 user and Prevx fan. Did you realy ever look at it?

It has a scanner which you can configure if you like.

Gerard

Attached Files:

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally posted by ErikAlbert

That would be nice to have an alternative to using the scanners, but unless something new comes along, some users will continue to use them (not unless all hackers disappear? :rolleyes: :D ;) :D :thumb: )

9. ErikAlbert

Well it won't be easy. The solutions are there but most of the time very inconvenient. :D
    Nevertheless I'm going to study Prevx1 more thoroughly as a possible alternative for Faronics Anti-Executable.
    I don't think, I will be able to use Prevx1 in combination with a frozen snapshot.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Prevx1 works just fine with DeepFreeze, from when I tested it :) I sometimes use it for testing malware w/ Prevx1.

Yup, you've got the on-demand scanner, but it will also look for updated determinations on Unknowns that you run until it's marked either good or bad.. so in that sense you don't necessarily need to run scans to catch something that might have been allowed to run. The on-demand scanner could catch dormant pieces that never ran, though.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you look closely at my setup you will notice prevx1 is under "the new setup soon"
    antivir suite
    prevx1
    counterspy.

atm im using f-secure internet secuirty. but soon i will replace f-secure and spysweeper with the stuff under the section "new setup coming soon"

sorry to confuse you

12. ErikAlbert

Yesterday, I installed Prevx1 in a frozen snapshot (FirstDefense-ISR) and it works so far. So you were right. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.