On demand scanner with scheduler (free).

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Austerity, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

In the past I would have used Avira for this. I downloaded the newest version and became sick. Not only did I not see an option to not install real time protection...but the new UI. Ugh

Anyway, I'm looking for a program I can schedule to run every day while I sleep (along with MBAM Pro).

Requirements:

Free (preferred)
    Ability to disable real time protection
    Prefer no resident processes
    Acceptable detection rate

This is for an HTPC running AppGuard in locked down mode. The on demand scans at night would just be for peace of mind. It is an old PC put together with old parts, so I'd prefer to leave MBAM and whatever I use with the real time protection OFF, to keep slow-down to a minimum and because the PC is very low risk already.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Did you try to install Avira in custom mode ? I remember the 'Realtime protection' checkbox which you can disable while installing.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. Austerity

I've done that in the past, but the latest version that I downloaded from Avira didn't give you an option to hit anything.

Maybe I can try to download an older version. Hmm.

I sure with Herd Protect had a schedule option.

5. Austerity

Yeah, I just tried it again. When you install the latest, you hit "Accept an Install", and it proceeds from there to download 124MB and install the program and loads in a few seconds flat, and then it's done.

If you go to program files > change the only options are reinstall and uninstall, reinstall does not give you any options to change the install parameters.

6. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

If you are willing to try this again, download the offline installer from trusted websites like softpedia/filehippo and then do the installation. No need to uninstall if you still have it in your system. You will be prompted with modify/repair/uninstall option. Choose modify and uncheck relatime-protection.

7. Austerity

Ok thanks. I will try that. Did anyone have any other software to suggest or should I stick to Avira for what I am trying to accomplish?

8. anon

anon Registered Member

Go to Start → Control Panel → Programs → Programs and Features, click with the right mouse button on the installed Avira product (e.g. Avira Internet Security) and select Change.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/964

or

9. anon

anon Registered Member

10. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I'd use Hitman Pro; it uses multiple cloud based antivirus engines (Bitdefender and Kaspersky) and a full scan takes about 5 minutes. Probably the perfect on demand scanner. It's also super light; if you have the scheduler active, it only uses 1 process that takes up about 1 K of memory and no CPU.

11. Austerity

Thanks everyone. Extremely helpful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.