On Demand Only??

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JerryM, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I often see the statement that one does not want an active scanner, but instead desires that the program only scan on demand.

It is not clear to me why that is desireable. In my own thinking, I would rather catch malware before it gets installed instead of getting rid of the infection after it has done some undesireable things to my system.

Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

Jerry

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It may depend on a persons surfing and downloading habits and their sensible activities online. I never run with a real time trojan scanner. I then again dont run with a real time AV . The stock answer will be from most "yes you must" etc etc. However I have no issues and I run only with a firewall / process guard/ prevx / . and have hardened up my system before loading up to much software. I have a Kav ondemand AV/that covers my AV/AT/ malware needs. . Thats fine for me. However some one else may find they get into trouble with this set up as they paddle around in strange currents . So they would do well to run with an AT and AV in realtime .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It is very desirable to keep the stuff out in the first place, but some people may be looking for a back-up scanner, for second opinions, in addition to their regular AT.

Some people don't want to take a hit on resources and may decide their AV is good enough therefore only want demand anti-trojan scans.

Others may not want to pay for realtime protection if they can get demand scans for free!

If you know what you are doing, and never get infected, you can get away without either AV or AT Guards - but I sure wouldn't like to risk it!

4. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

Hi Jerry

Having many programs running in real time often affects the performance of a PC thus people (like me) really want real time protection with those programs, that in there opinion is really essential i.e AV, firewall, etc.

Agree with Solarpwered candle and TopperID. It really depends upon your own system and preference.

In my opinion system performance is more important than having layers of real time protection.

Born

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All for the answers.
    I can see that sometimes the efficiency and speed of the system trumps the need for real time security.
    I guess "You pays your money, and takes your choice."

Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.