On Chrome Privacy - Mike West

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Searching_ _ _, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

My Google bolding.

They don't need to, it's the other way round. The NSA have Big Fat pipes tied into them, & Most of the USA's ISP's, & beyond :eek:

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

They definitely have access to major sources of data, and indeed do listen in to most telecommunications. We're not facing a Fahrenheit 451 situation, but it's true that intelligence, LEA and even military monitoring is more pervasive than one would likely feel comfortable knowing about. However, that situation is far more complex and outside the scope of this particular topic. The immediate issue and one more easily dealt with, is the trading around of our data as it were two children on the street sharing their candy.

You can decide whether or not it is a big deal to you, but I invite you to ask yourself where the line is, where and when do you say "hold on a second"? Okay, so you don't use Facebook, but you do use Amazon or any number of other services. You still face the same issue, it is simply different in that Amazon and others don't get the spotlight shone on them in the numerous magazine and tech site articles.

No matter who you give your data to, the end result is the same. It gets collected, packaged up, and sold.

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Well their is a Chrome Clone that does not include all of the Google BS for people who like chrome. I for 1 like it. I use Ghostery and Adblock Plus with it

images.jpg

Yes your Data may get packaged up and sold but only after you agreed to it by excepting your ISP, and or any other services you use TOS/Privacy Policy, supposedly it is anonymized first, so your IP is not attached to it, dont know about names ect, always a good thing to read everything before you except it, otherwise I suggest you use something else or just give up on the net altogether.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You raise a good point, in that users should read every contract, every TOS. The responsibility cannot just be passed to companies, if it did, there would be no hope of privacy at all. Many complain about the issues and act shocked, get angry, and so on. However, they would have known in the vast majority of cases what they were getting into, had they not just clicked "Continue" or had asked questions. There are still instances of these things being hidden from users, but, if you do enough digging, you can usually find out what you need to know.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Reminds me of my brother in law, he was looking for codecs to play movies, but he ended up installing all these different codec packs, and when I opened his browser their was 5 Toolbars installed in his browser, I was like wow, dont you pay attention the the things you are installing? at least I was nice enough to clean out all the trash and give him some real codecs, "K-lite"......

Yes you are very right, users are to lazy to read anything important like TOS, PP, and or they click next/continue as quick as possible to install things, and end up with all these null worthless toolbars, ect lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.