OmniPage version 15 Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Zom17, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I bought a Canon scanner and it came with OmniPage 2.0SE software. It is not the full version as you can imagine but it has been a handy tool for scanning documents and editing as needed. There is more it can do but I just started learning how to use this software. I can puchase OmniPage 15 for $99 (the professional version is over $400 and way out of my league).

I was wondering if anyone uses OmniPage 15 (or 14) and what do you thinK of the product? What has been your experience? I have read some mixed reviews on both versions: either the person really liked it or the person really didn't like it; there was no centering on opinion, i.e., it was okay. Plus, the majority of the ones I've read gave more thumbs down then thumbs up.

Your opinions and experiences please. Thanks.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have it and it does a good job when you have a complex OCR conversion. However for general scanning and document handling, I'd put the money into their other product Paperport.

I have Omnipage, and it has some great features for automating stuff which I don't need. Where it excels is if you have to convert a document to word and it complex. You can zone the document and have it treat different parts as graphs,tables, and words. Doing this enhances the chances of a good conversion.

Pete

3. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Peter2150, thanks for your reply. I do like to convert my scans to a Word.doc and then edit for my own information. One thing I notice about the 2.0SE version is that its word recognition isn't the best. For some reason it won't recognize, at times, simple words.

I have a long way to go to learn so much. By the way, did you experience either a number of bugs or crashes?

4. Peter2150

Not with the full version. Since I've purchased one of their products they always offer special purchase deals. Thats how I always buy. I like all of their products.

Pete

5. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

When you talk full version are you referring to the standard full version as opposed to the professional full version? if you don't mind I'd like to ask a few more questions.

1. What other products do you like by them?

2. In your experience how does version 15 compare to version 14, assuming you used version 14?

Thanks again.

6. Peter2150

I am using the Professional full version, but I got it for $99 as an upgrade offer.

1. Other products. Paperport 11, PDF Converter Pro 4, and Dragon Speak Versions 8 and 9

2. I did use 14, and I am not sure 15 was a big improvement for me. BUt I am not a heavy user. Again I upgraded, because they made me a good offer.

Of all the products I use Omnipage the least, just because of my needs. But there are times it does the job like nothing else.

Pete

7. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Would you/can you recommend any other OCR software from your experience? Again, thanks for the answers.

8. Peter2150

Hi Zom17

I haven't used anyother that I found worthwhile.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.