Old laptop w/pentium XP 2gb mem - firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SourMilk, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

What firewalls would be appropriate for an older laptop with Windows XP? I know about Kerio but would like a more modern firewall with better leak stoppage.

Any ideas? Please keep in mind, the firewall must be very light on resources.

Thanks for any and all replies.

SourMilk out

2. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

I have privatefirewall running very smoothly on Windows XP, 1GB :)

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

you can try private firewall.. :thumb:

4. SourMilk

Thanks again for the replies. Guess I'll try Private Firewall. Does it get along with SandboxIE? I know that PC Tools FW v7 has conflicts with it and I would not surf the net without SandboxIE.

SourMilk out

5. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Stop recommending Private Firewall ,the other firewall makers will remain jobless :)
    SourMilk ,it s a good joice.
    And i may add the Sunbelt Firewall 4.7 beta too ,with the HIPS disabled is excellent.Was ok on some Fujitsu Siemens laptop i ve set up one week ago for someone ,had to install XP the hard way :) .

6. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Old laptop...old frewall...maybe Filseclab? :) It uses only 4,5-5 MB of RAM and it works great on laptop with XP and 0,9 GB RAM.

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Hard to answer without a definition of "very light on resources".
    Kerio of course is the smallest (and still best in my book). Hard act to follow when Kerio used 5-6meg.

On my 392-meg PentiumIII WinXP-pro computer, Sunbelt firewall, with all features enabled (HIPS, Behavior, IDS, web watch), works well. It uses about 22meg peak private and, say, 28meg peak working memory Computer runs at about 5% utilization with Avast spikes of 30% when few websites are open.
    I have about 80-90meg memory unused, 33 processes running.

Current version is paid. The free version misses HIPS and few other features.
    Sunbelt has a totally free version 4.7. Called beta. It's the same thing as the paid version - all features available for free.

Version 4.7 was mentioned here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286002
    Direct link to download (might require login, I don't recall)
    http://go.sunbeltsoftware.com/?linkid=1300

Installation of CounterSpy and Vipre antivirus is not required, nor is it included. The reason I mention this, is because the announcement was somewhat ambiguous, at least for me.

8. SourMilk

Well, I have decided on Private Firewall. It's very light on my laptop and allows me to use SandboxIE. Thanks again to all those who replied.

SourMilk out

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Sygate used to cover me while I was running my Old PC, way back then I only had an 8GB Hard Drive and 512 MB RAM but it worked just fine.

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

2gig mem - and then have to be small? bit funny buta that is enough to have
    ALL of them - even with pentium. i guess you mean less consumption of cpu power...

Look n stop (no freeware) is really damn small - and IMO the best of smallest (500kb)

PS blah Kerio/Sunbelt crap...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.