Old Firewall - Sygate

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by niteghost, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Is there any reason, I cannot use or NOT advisable to use the last version og Sygate w/SP3/XP Pro.?
    Would I be compromising my PC security by using a Discontinued Firewall?.:(

2. simisg

simisg Registered Member

i dont think there is any problem.... but it can not protect you from modern threat methods. try private firewall is free and light an has hips

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

There are a lot of free fw very trusty and easy to use, with a strong autoprotection. Why don't you think to change ?

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

As long as it's compatible with the OS, a firewall will work the same today as it did when it was released. Firewall suites have become more complex performing more functions, but the firewall components themselves haven't changed much. Internet protocol hasn't changed. It's the same IP address system, the same base protocols passing through the same ports. Regarding the lack of a HIPS component in older firewalls, you can always add a freestanding one if you want, and probably get a lighter but equally strong package in the process.

5. blacknight

What changes, in the time, are the discover of vulnerabilities in the firewalls, especially in the olders, and new way to bypass them. Old fws have not the same autoprotection of the newest, even without HIPS features.

6. bollity

bollity Registered Member

sygate is pure firewall. no HIPS.
    HIPS is very important to face modern new treats.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, it's not.

8. niteghost

I did try it, found out that it passes most test that I throw at it, UNTILL PcFlank. "Advance Port scan", left me with Port 80 FULLY OPEN, I did NOT know how to configure PrivateFirewall, to close or stealth i, Port 80, since it is use as an Http for the Browser.?
    Tried Webroot Firewall V5.8 too that was FREE, using their Free registration to obtain a serial, LOOKS EXACTLT infact it is the SAME with PrivateFirewall.
    I found that PrivateFirewall, causes a lot of "internet drag" and slows me down considerably, when I use utorrent as a Client in my Torrents.

Furthermore, most of the Paid ones that I tried before Like ZA and Outpost are sooo... Bloated with their Antiyspyware stuff, that it really takes a while at Startup and slows down your system considerably.

P.S. Sygate Passes every Test from ShieldUp, PcFlank and Hackerwatch.

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

you might try Sygate with Mamutu & WinPastrol. Maybe Gizmo is still offering it on his site with a free license. Combined with Mamutu, threatfire or EQ Secure Sygate might be as good as any firewall in current development.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There's no reason why you can't use it if you're looking for a pretty much straight firewall with a few extra features. If you're looking to pass all the so-called leak tests, then you'd be better of with something newer.

11. blacknight

I always passed these test with Outpost, KIS, Comodo...;) ; Comodo, Outpost free and Online Armor free are all excellent fw.

12. blacknight

HIPS is one of the main elements for a real protection.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Your brain is better.... :)

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, it's not... Real protection is LUA/SRP/DEP/HFW combined with a good AV.

If you think HIPS which in most cases is a bunch of hacks, being added to your system is the way to keep it protected, feel free to do so.

15. niteghost

But Outpost [ paid Version] is soooo bloated, KIS, just the firewall is NOT available since 2006, and ONLY available in their Internet security Package . Comodo does nOT work very well with P2p especially with Torrents, is really a Pain to configure it & just slows the system considerably, from my experiebce.

Sygate is easy to configure, especially, when I am very "heavy" into Torrents and P2p activities and in their Adv. settings, all one has to do is Uncheck the Server option, and it will Pass Most of the stealth Test.

16. blacknight

Only a joke..Internet is not only P2P, there is much more .:D :D ( you are not the only one that selects the fw dependent on P2P ).

17. simisg

simisg Registered Member

if you want try also pctools firewall is light for p2p...... also try sygate with prevx and antivir combination is very strong and light and you are secure.......

18. niteghost

Of course, I know that, duhhhhhhh !! BUT if my 80 % of my "Activity" is mostly in P2P, don't U think I should cover my Behind, when there are multiple of incoming traffic going on with File sharing, and to be stealth as well?

19. niteghost

Yes, I do have another layer of protection with Nod32 Antivirus/antispyware with the Web shield protection as well , Nod 32 V3.0261, will immediately "flag" or stop loadinf any Web page, OR access if it is questionable sires, plus "suspicious" downloads using http, like Rapidshare , megaupload.... that is : FOR MY HTPS protection.

On top of that, I have the latest version and signature with Malawebytes , to run in the backgound as well Nod 32 [ runs very light will minimal resource]
    I have 2 additional program :Spyware doctor and super antispyware as well, that I scan every couple of days.

Also, I have Anti keylogger Elite run as startup to examine any "hooks" that are questionable

20. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Sygate is an Excellent firewall. Very light, and great for p2p applications.

The one thing that kinda bugs me is, when you allow a program it defaults to allowing server rights. Is there any way to change this default?

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, not unless there is some exotic registry hack or something... but I rather doubt that. It's annoying, but you have to toggle it for every new app you allow etc....

22. niteghost

Yes, exactly, what I do is that if I do a Stealth Test using service Ports,using Shield Up, If I find any Open ports, I immediately go check for application in the Adv.setting to turn off the server rights.
    Yep, every application is default as given server Rights and client rights , Both Boxes are chec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.