Old computer Hell

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Gullible Jones, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm setting up a "new" computer for my mom, a Dell XPS R350.

(She's using a 120 MHz Apple PowerPC right now. And in case you're wondering, my dad doesn't want to buy her a better machine and I don't have the money; if I did, I'd get something nicer than this rubbish secondhand Dell.)

Anyway, I used the guts of another Dell, an Optiplex GX-1, to upgrade it, plus some other stuff. Right now it's got:

- A P3 Katmai 450 MHz processor
    - twin 30 GB Quantum Fireball hard drives (which I plan to use in software RAID1)
    - A CD and a Zip drive
    - A Turtle Beach sound card of some sort
    - A Matrox Millenium 2 PCI video card
    - 448 MB of PC100 RAM

The original setup (which worked fine):

- The P3 Katmai processor
    - One 4 GB and one 6 GB hard drive
    - The CD and Zip drives
    - The Turtle Beach sound card
    - An ATI Rage 128 video card
    - What appeared to be a TV card
    - 384 MB of PC100 RAM

Those are the only changes I made.

Anyway, right now it's failing to recognize *any* of the IDE drives. Not just the new hard drives, but also the CD and Zip drives, which worked fine before; the BIOS says there's nothing hooked up to either IDE channel. The only thing it can boot from is the floppy drive.

I double-checked the jumpers on the IDE drives and they're set right; I made sure the IDE ribbons were plugged in correctly (they were, despite not being polarized :rolleyes: ); I tried booting without the extra RAM (some old computers can't handle more than 384 MB); I looked in the BIOS to see if there was a way to manually configure the drives... Nada. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is ESD, which I'm hoping this isn't.

Any advice?

Edit: N/M, the notches on the IDE ribbon plugs were on the wrong side.:doubt: Weird.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.