okay im def tired of the mem usage of firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

it works great for a while then just simply starts to lag bad. im talking after maybe 30-45min of being online pages just seem to drag not just on one pc but a few that we have. i checked mem usage just now and it was READY FOR THIS!!! 513MB total!!! i mean wtfo_O? i have been wondering why while im browsing everything else runs like crap...

imo i do not like ie7 at all. and i know there is opera but honestly ive hardly ever used it and i know very little about it and the web site for it simply sucks.

i am trying k-meleon right now and its very nice. but its based on the same engine as firefox so will i end up with the same issues as ff...? and will i ever see any issues with it rendering properly? its light for sure i have 6 tabs open and i only see about 40mb total right now. huge difference from the normal 100-150 i saw in everyday use from firefox.

id like to try opera but are there any issues with uninstalling it if i dont like it? does it leave crap everywhere?

and should i try the beta right now which is the one everyone recc to me right now?

thanks in advance

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Get Opera 9.25, it's just final 12/18/2007. Get the classic installer NOT the .msi.

3. zfactor

wow they just made 9.25 final and they are in beta already on 9.5?? any good screen shots of opera the web site stinks

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Firefox 3 Beta 2 Release Notes:
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0b2/releasenotes/#whatsnew

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I don't care for a beta browser myself.

6. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

Installed opera 9.5 beta on Mepis 7 using the debian installer from the Opera linux download site. Seems to be pretty stable - but best of all, all the mozilla plugins now work in Opera! (specifically mplayer). No more need to install gnome-mplayer and gecko player to have MM working in Opera under Linux.

If you're unhappy with FF memory usage, give the latest Netscape Navigator a go. I have installed it in my Mandriva partition and have managed to install all my favorite FF extensions without issue (well - had to unpack and repack Mr Tech's local install xpi to make it version compatible, but after that, its been fine).

Navigator does seem to use less memory.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I am using the 9.5 beta on Ubuntu and no problems so far. No more issues with flash either. And even though k-meleon is based on the same engine as FF, it never approached the memory usage of the latter on my comp.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have been using FF forever, and don't have your problem. I'll bet you have an add-on running that is sucking memory. I would look them over. Could you have way to many extensions running? I have about 6 extensions going on FF.:blink:

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I don't know why Firefox has that problem while other Mozilla browsers do not. Even on my old 98 box, SeaMonkey can run all day long with no problems, with about 15 extensions. http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Rick

10. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i can confirm his problem. i've seen my firefox take up anywhere from 259-381 megs of ram. the only plugins i have are : noscript, adblock, adblock updater, tabmix plus, and forcastfox.

11. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Highest I've seen is 80mb..
    Adblock Plus, SiteAdvisor, NoScript and a couple of dictionaries.

However it takes ages to launch compared to other browsers.

12. zfactor

only ietab, and the pdf tab thing. i dont even have adblock turned on and right now i have only wilder's open and no other tabs and im seeing 54mb usage with ONE TAB..

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

After a bootup, FF takes 10 - 15 seconds to load with extentions like Weather. If you shut FF off and load it later during the same session, it takes 4 seconds. IE only takes 4 seconds after a bootup because it's already partially loaded during bootup. If FFtakes longer for you, try clearing your cache.:)

14. zfactor

i have right now a google search page up, wilder's page up, and my yahoo mail page and im at 97mb roughly..!!! this is crazy for 3 pages with no flash or anything crazy on them

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No point in complaining on and on about something, just switch and use Opera or K-Meleon or something else... It is what it is...... ;)

16. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Wait for opera 9.5! It is the fastest browser, starts faster than firefox, more features, less mem usage,

17. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

What are your plans for the memory "saved"?

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I tried out Opera 9.5 in Linux and it was unbelievably fast. I imagine the Win version is the same. 9.5 seems faster than K-Meleon now.. Quite impressive...

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm using 34MB at the moment with google, and Wilders up.

20. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Maybe he's on an older computer? I for one hated the fact that Firefox would often take over my older Celeron box when I was trying to surf the net.

I have a dream today! Let my memory free! ><!!

21. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Perhaps. Although there are published methods to restrict the storage that Firefox requests, accomplished via simple changes.

22. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Why so?

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Because reported problems with the .msi installer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.