OK...Who is it that warned me about Spyware Doctor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

For the past couple months I have been an advocate of Spyware Doctor by PC Tools. But at least one or two people in this forum warned me that this program gives nothing but false positives. Now, as good as I think their detection engine is, I must now agree that this program detects way too many false positives. Whoever I was arguing with, I apologize. You were right.

And if you didn't follow this in the NOD 32 forum, one of the reasons I now must admit defeat is because I am experiencing my 2nd false positive in 2 months. This time Spyware Doctor labelled the enitre ESET Folder and all of it's contents as BACDOOR.AGENT.AIR. All in all SD quarantined 162 files, 12 of which I cannot get it to remove from quarantine.

I have not heard from PC Tools of yet, but I half think that PC Tools did this deliberately to get ESETS attention. Just 2 days ago, NOD 32 detected Spyware Doctors beta V5.0 as malware. I find is a very strange coincedence that 2 days later, Spyware Doctor is now detecting NOD32 as malware. NOTE: I did hear from a representaitve of ESET that does not think that this was deliberate. Even if it wasn't deliberate, 2 False Positives in 2 months is WAY too much.

In any case, I am done with PC Tools Spyware Doctor. As soon as this issue is resolved I am removing it from my PC and going with Spyware terminator coupled with Sandboxie.

So fo those of you that warned me about Spyware Doctor, I am sorry that Zi didn't listen. Thanks for your good advice though I didn't heed it.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well it seems that spyware doctor is out of your aresonal then.
    btw where you one of the people that usec to use spysweeper with all the shields and complained about the shields causing a slow startup?
    because if you where and still got a a license download spysweeper 5.3 turn on all the shields all guns blazing.
    it has only added about 1 second to my pc login time and hardly uses any cpu now. 5.2 was horrible but 5.3 is amazing.
    lodore

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I may try this. I still have time left on my license. Right now, I am leaning towards the Spyware terminator/Sandboxie combo.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok then.
    if you do try it can you tell me if you have the same experience with it as i do?
    btw it still uses around 60mb of ram thou but with almost no cpu it doesnt really matter.
    lodore

5. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Well, if we are talking about this, let me ask you this; If you have Sandboxie and a very good anti virus program like Kaspersky, do you need anything else?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well not really.
    well a firewall is definatly reccomended
    also a hardware fireware called a nat router is reccomend as well.
    lodore

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I was one of them that warned you and i will never personally use it again. All of a sudden, chkdsk wouldn't run, i could no longer enter safemode and didn't realize it was Spyware Doctor causing all of this until i removed it after it trashed a legit program based on a false positive!.

But i don't feel Spyware is a problem anymore. No resident and a few on-demand spyware scans once a month never turn up anything. Run Bufferzone Home all the time and Prevx if they'll get the new found conflict issue worked out with Kerio.

8. btman

btman Registered Member

While I had NOD32 I had 2 false positives on first scan, one of them was A-Squareds anti-dialer... And I've had alot with A-squared Free, over 8.. But 2 false positives in 2 months isn't horrid. Now if you've had the program for a year and only got 2 FPS thats not bad.

9. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

What make's the whole situation funny ? E.g. detection (basicaly every file in the \ESET folder is labeled as Backdoor.Agent.AIR ) of:

Backdoor.Agent.AIR C:\Program Files\ESET\logs\nod32\NDL11478.DAT High
    Backdoor.Agent.AIR C:\Program Files\ESET\nod32.log High
    Backdoor.Agent.AIR C:\Program Files\ESET\readme.txt High

First two files are logs which are changing all the time. Readme.txt is harmles text files.

Unaware user could by using such a unique piece of "software" to eliminate NOD32 cause some troubles for him/herself. Readme.txt is harmles text files. Even more funny stuff:

Backdoor.Agent.AIR C:\Program Files\ESET\sporder.dll High

sporder.dll is dll from Windows, so this should lead to avalanche of FP. Producing one or two FP could happen for everyone. But this case is very likely usual FP. IMHO this way, they fully qualify as malware.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.