ok, which paid antivirus is best? :)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Lawrence Connor, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I admit I am also surprised. Here are the figures that show now. On the machine with KAV the total memory use is 11,757 K.
    On the laptop the memory use of NOD32 is 22,216 K.

Although these are two different machines the memory use on the laptop is essentially what it was on the desktop when I trialed it.
    One browser was open on both machines.

I have KAV configured pretty much as default, except that I have the “scan new and changed files only” option checked. With it unchecked the memory use is 13,004 K.

Evidently KAV has done some work on resource usage. I had read of that with KAV 6 and find it true. I guess different machines react differently.

Best,
    Jerry

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

But how do you have Kav configured? Standard or also different settings?
    And do you have any idea about something being wrong with my system? Nod32 soars all over...never had any slowdown whatsoever.

3. Benvan45

True, about different machines reacting differently.....but the strange thing is, there is very few people having trouble with the slowdowns with Kav. I keep wondering what's so different about my machine!
    Had the same with Bitdefender....just crawling.
    During the Kav 6 trial, even Total Commander took long to open up and that bothers me badly!

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Default settings here of KAV 6.0.0.299, except I have the Streaming scan option enabled in the HTTP Scanner. The two running processes of avp.exe only total 7324K VM here after about 60 minutes of surfing. One of these processes takes up over 25MB RAM on boot-up but this quickly drops to a much lower level.

On my systems, although NOD is slightly heavier in RAM usage it feels as light as KAV 6 as the actual memory footprint does not always translate to an effect on system performance.

Benvan, there must be some sort of software/hardware conflict of your computer with KAV 6/Dr Web. This sometimes happens. For example, I cannot run F-Prot for Windows as a primary scanner on my main desktop despite it's RTM only taking up 612K VM but it runs without any problems at all on another 2 systems here!!! Work that one out!

5. Benvan45

Yes Blackcat, there's something weird here. This week I'll be installing a clean Win XP Home with SP-2 on another partition and nothing else!!!! I'll give the 'slow' scanners another try and report back here.

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Default settings for KAV 6. About your system: other real-time monitors, scanners, (cheese :D)... Probably Gremlins running around your MOBO.

I don't know, hope your reinstall will solve it.

7. Benvan45

There's very little realtime, a mailchecking tool Mailmoa, Spy Stopper Pro and Msn and that's it. Could be the cheese, I grease my cooler with that once a year! :D

8. Benvan45

Installed Kav 6.0 on other partition with XP Home SP-2 (clean install)! Nothing running.........opening files or whatever, takes too long for me compared to Nod32. It must be my hardware, it can't be software.
    Also tried Dr. Web, the latest.....same story, slow....slow, slow.
    Bitdefender.....even worse!
    Removed the buggers.......back to Nod32 and I'm flying like a butterfly.
    AVG Pro is another super fast and lean running scanner! But......compared to Nod32 in detection......don't think so.
    Sorry to say.......no more experimenting for me with all those great AV scanners, as I will probably need a new system in order to run these 'great' scanners.
    I'll stick to Nod32 and nothing else!
    Any sponsoring for a new computer with one of these 'slow' AV scanners, is very welcome!!! :D

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Did you carry out a full on-demand scan first. Everything, including the RTM, speeds up after this.
    Always best to stick with the one that suits you and your system the best ;)

10. Benvan45

Did not carry out a full on-demand scan, as I did not know this would make a difference......too bad. Understand the trick, but Nod32 does not need this done, so.....but thanks for the tip. One never knows what happens in the near future.
    Thanks for your concern again. ;)

11. Benvan45

Surprise, surprise........ I couldn't resist it of course. Reinstalled Kav 6.0 and did a full on-demand scan, took over two hours!!!!! Re-started my computer and waited for the good stuff to come.
    Guess what? It didn't make any difference at all in speed. It takes just as long to open files or urls. One of my test cases is always Total Commander, just opening it in some dir and then looking at the performance of the installed AV scanner........Kav's 'golden wheel' showed up for a few seconds and that's how long it takes to open just a small, simple dir in Total Commander. It sure as hell beats me all to pieces, but this is final!!!!
    Standard configurations.......all the way!
    Back to Nod32 again.....and I even deleted all the other 'great' other AV scanners from my system!
    Sorry, but if it is my computer acting as the bottleneck, why aren't other scanners, like Nod32, AVG Pro, eTrust, F-prot affected by this?
    The slowdowners are: Kav, Bitdefender, Dr.Web as far as I have tested these different times.
    Final now.....no more testing.....just using Nod32!

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Only NOD32 ? No other on-demand AV scanner to remove the remaining threats ? :ninja:

13. Benvan45

No, just rely on the one thing......!! Never had any problems yet. Used different online scanners, just to make sure, but always clean!
    The only thing I use besides Nod, is a anti spyware program.
    I am behind a router and that makes a difference as well!

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I've had KAV 2006 on here about two hours. Using 29,000k virtual memory. I can't imagine any AV using as little as you say KAV uses on your machine. Bit Defender routinely used around 40,000k. I see some only set it to default? I never do that with any AV. Set it to scan all file types and I turned off the scan only changed and new files. I don't know why AV companies set up default so badly. NOD32 does the same thing.

I don't have the HTTP scanner or the Email scanner. If I had those KAV sure would be using a lot of RAM.

I never do a full scan with an AV. I hate those. I won't do one with KAV either.

I'd like to just go back to BD free as that was great and all I needed but now that I have used BD Pro 9.5, I can't use the free version.

15. Benvan45

That's what I hate as well, the full scans and I agree also with your statement, that a scanner should be configured standard with scanning 'all files' and most AV scanners don't, as it has a great impact on the resources and all companies want the 'lightest'!
    I have Nod32 configured to scan 'all files' and never notice any difference in performance.

16. SSK

SSK Registered Member

My KIS 6 (Without MailAV / AntiSpam / AIC) uses ~ 18k Mem / ~ 19.5k VM. Nod32 uses around the same on my machine. :)

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Kis 6.0 with everything enabled uses around 27mb virtual memory (total memory use 32mb) on my pc, but it will go up and down as you use the pc, in daily use it is very low though.

18. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

This is what I found when while running KAV 6. After install, all defaults except I put a check in the box for Potentially Dangerous Software, there is very little affect on browsing speed. After I ran a full scan, everything slowed down a lot. It seemed to take forever for a page to open. The little yellow gear, what ever that is, in the KAV icon was spinning. It took a couple of minutes before browsing speed was somewhat back to normal. The time between the end of the full scan and when I came back to the computer was about an hour.

Anyone else have this type of experience. I'm running XP Home/SP2, 512 RAM, cable connection.

19. Benvan45

Start reading from post #24......that's exactly what I mean as well. I am really glad, I am not the only one having the terrible slowdown and I am sure now, it's not just my system.
    I hope someone can throw a light on this problem. I have read the same on other forums.
    I am running XP Pro SP2 Amd AthlonXP 1800+ 512 Ram and Dsl. Nothing special in real time.

20. Graystoke

Hi Benvan45.

I like this new KAV 6, but not sure I want to keep it if it's going to affect my computer this way. The last couple of weeks I've been testing NOD32 and KAV 6 on my computer, because I have become disinchanted with the AV I was using. NOD seems to run a lot lighter than KAV on my computer. The only thing I don't like about NOD is the High Compatability/High Effeciency settings. I feel I always have to check the settings to make sure nothing new is set to HC. There always seemed to be one or two new apps there set at HC. :( I'll run KAV 6 a day or two more, and if things stay the way they are, I'll probably put NOD back on.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I haven't experienced any slow down with KAV 6.0 surfing. I do have File AV turned off. As to memory usage:

Both AVP processes currently after running all day

Mem Usage Peak Mem Usage VM Size

7380 42700 23700

As to Scanning. First full scan took 1.2 hours. Subsequent scans take 4-6 minutes which is why I've turned off File AV. Do a full scan every night at shutdown.

22. Benvan45

Why on earth? Don't you trust the real time protection?

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I never said that. I leave on Mail AV, Web AV and the Proactive Defense Modules. That way anything coming from the outside is scanned. But no need to have a larger data files scanned every time they are opened. Then the full scan every night checks everything. Actually for the same reason's I have disabled the startup scan.

Pete

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I couldn't believe just now that it took KAV 1 minute 23 seconds to scan a critical patch from Microsoft that I had downloaded to disk. BitDefender would have scanned that in about one-third the time or less and NOD32 would have done it so fast that it would have finished before I blinked. KAV seemed to stick at 50% scanned. I have never ever seen a percentage bar with other AV as they scan too fast for that to show I suppose.

I haven't noticed surfing slowdowns so we'll see how it goes. If the only slow thing is on demand scanning well....I can live with that I suppose. I don't like HTTP scanning or email scanning. I depend on a good on demand scanner instead so I hope not everything I scan from the command line is this slow.

As to another report of slowdowns after running the first full scan...well, good thing I guess that I don't like full scans and hardly ever do them. At least Benvan45, you know you aren't alone!

25. Graystoke

I decided not to wait. I just was not happy with the performance of my computer with KAV 6 on it. I'm not bashing KAV 6, because I do like it, but it just doesn't work well with my computer. I installed NOD, and my computer is humming along. Very nice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.