Ok to use more than one dialup connection?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Grayhorse, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grayhorse

Grayhorse Guest

Hello

Is it possible to use the Windows DUN for more than one internet connection at the same time? I would like to test mutiple dialup ISPs at the same time. Thanks for any help.

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Not AFAIK. You would need multiple modems connected to a dial up router like the old WebRamp. But even then it is only visible as one internet connection.
    Just switch DU accounts between tests.

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I don't see why not. You can be connected to multiple networks with your network cards, so it's the same thing. Be careful not to route traffic through them though. You might get in trouble with your ISP. :(

Close Hauled

4. Devinco

Hi Close_Hauled,
    But doesn't Windows allow you to use one internet connection at a time (at least for web browsing)? For example, if I'm connected via cable and then make a DUN connection, the web browser will use the DUN connection. And when I disconnect the DUN, then it falls back to the cable connection automatically.
    If you have multiple modems, wouldn't it do the same thing (use the most recent connection until it disconnects then fall back to the previous DUN)?

5. Close_Hauled

This is a question for people who understand routing protocols better than I. As long as the dial-up connections are configured properly, I believe that the best path will be chosen by the hop count. But it could also be determined by which connection is bound first.

I am using a split tunnel connection right now. What that means is that I have one physical connection that serves as two logical ones. One logical connection is for our LAN, while the other is for our WAN. Internet Explorer has an Exception list to keep traffic from going to the proxy server. I just add our local subnet to that list, and I can browse our local servers without the traffic going out onto our WAN.

Close Hauled

6. Devinco

Interesting setup Close_Hauled. Would such a setup work for Greyhorse's DUN ISP test? It would help if greyhorse would elaborate on what the purpose is for simultaneously testing multiple ISPs. If it is for merely comparing ISPs than I would just test them one by one. If it is for combining DUN accounts for more bandwidth, than maybe something like the Webramp or the old diamond modems "shotgun" binding would help.

7. Close_Hauled

My setup uses Nortel Networks Contivity VPN Client. It requires a server on the other end. We use it to encrypt all of our network traffic that leaves our campus.

I agree that he needs to give us some clarification. In the mean time, I might ask someone what happens when connecting to two different accounts.

Close Hauled

8. Grayhorse

Grayhorse Guest

Sorry about not explaining that properly guys. What i was trying to say was, that i would like to test more than one ISP "one at a time" with the DUN dialer. I would not want to use them all at the same time, just to have many trial subscriptions to different ISPs so i can try them to find the best one for me. So that is possible, correct?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I had as many as three dial up accounts at once in the past.

Connections

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

The short answer Grayhorse is YES..... if, of course you are willing to pay for each new ISP setup.

I have had 3 also like Ron.... All thru the same modem of course. :)

I had a free 1 month trial of one, I then went and got another one for later, and I saw an el cheapo on the TV for only $9.95 unlimited dl's per month, so purchased that to try.

The freebie ran out, so I simply just deleted that account from Network Connections, and after the I tried the el cheapo one I found it to be much better than my $29.95 month one, so I cancelled that one also..

The easiest way I found to connect was to go into the Network Connections Folder and create shortcuts to Desktop for each account you may have and then connect directly from that.

That way, you govern which account opens up, instead of starting say IE, and you get the dialogue box asking to connect. I always dial direct from a shortcut first.

TAS

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Just to add to Tassie's comments -- I keep the "Connections" setting under Internet Options to "never dial". That way if I happen to lose my connection while online, I don't get both the DUN and IE asking me independently but more or less simultaneously if they should both try reconnecting.

12. Grayhorse

Grayhorse Guest

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.