OK to run Windows Boot Defrag with EAZ-FIX?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Aaron Here, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I am aware that the use 3rd party Defraggers is discouraged (and of no value) when using EAZ-FIX (and Rollback Rx), but what about using Windows' Boot Defragger? :doubt:

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Interesting question. I would say no, since the defrag might mess up files related to Rollback Rx (Eaz-Fix). Best way to do it is to uninstall Rollback Rx, defrag, then reinstall. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but it's pretty much the only way to do it.

3. Aaron Here

That won't work for Windows Boot Defrag as it's set to either 'on or off' for each and every bootup. So unless someone knows for sure, I'll enable the boot-degrag reg setting and see what happens (after first making a DS image backup). ;)

4. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

It natural to think some kind of defragging will help but it makes it worse and you be no better off.

5. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

I think this tool is based on clusters-mapping-addressing (incremental sector redirector)? or something like that.. so if the data removed from location to location before its driver fully initialized, the data 'll be corrupted or incremental backup snapshots will be huge. I 'am not 100% sure, but I think so.

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It can be done.

The following are the steps that I use when I have Rollback-RX installed ( with perfectdisk 2008 ) :
    1. Disable the feature to take automatic snapshots at the boot time.
    2. Create a new baseline.
    3. After the reboot run the defrag activation command "Shieldcmd.exe /defrag". Defrag with PD 2008 and perform an offline defrag.
    4. Take a new baseline snapshot.

Panagiotis

7. Aaron Here

To all:
    Please note that I am specifically inquiring if a Boot-Defrag would be ill-advised with EAZ-FIX, not an entire disk-defrag!

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

In fact, I responded at your question.
    offline defrag= defrag before the OS loads = boot defrag ;)

Panagiotis

9. Aaron Here

I don't have/use Perfect Disk; I was referring to enabling WinXP's Boot Defrag ...or am I not understanding you? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.