OK this should be easy right

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anssupport, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anssupport

anssupport Registered Member

I am evaluating TI 9

I made an image of a 2 disk Windows 2003 server (M: and N:)

I put the acronis boot cd into a clean server (same hardware)

I choose restore image

I give creds for a file server where the tibs are located

I verify and restore the image (selecting 1 disk (that is already pri,act)) and picking my free space

On reboot the server says "attempting to boot from the (c:) drive"

.... and never gets anywhere.....

It kind of bugs me that it says booting from C: This is a citrix server I dont have a C:\

If I restore 2 disk then I get the choice of setting the second disk active. Dont want to do that....

This product would be a great addition to our backup strategy, but I need this test to work or the product is of no use to me...

TIA

2. paultwang

paultwang Registered Member

Did you assign the (correct) drive letter during restoration and set it active?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello anssupport,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please create Acronis reports of both your servers in the way described below?

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please rename Acronis reports to report_source.txt and report_destination.txt accordingly.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  4. anssupport

anssupport Registered Member

I updated the build on my boot disk to a newer build. That fixed it.

I got the C:\ to start

Thanks

BTW is it possible to restore 2 partitions at the same time. I am trying now so no biggy. But I when say do another disk and select disk 2 of my image it shows me the same destination physical disk drive used in the first partition and tells me that I will need to delete the existing partitions. Thing is this is baremetal. So I am thinking that the partition is the C:\ restored in step 1 of this process.

Maybe when I select "add another disk' and should instead just pick it as a partition and not the disk for the D:\?

Does this make sense ?

Thanks

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello anssupport,

We are really glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

Yes, Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to restore several partitions at once. You can find more information on how to perform this action in section 5.3.11 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

As for the problem you encounter, there are two most probable reasons why you cannot restore several partitions at once:

1.) You restore an image of the entire hard dive and not an image of an individual partition. In this case Acronis True Image allows you to select only the entire hard drive as a destination for the image restoration. In order to restore a single partition from the image of the entire hard (even if it is the only partition on the backed up hard drive) you should check the tick box near the partition name instead of the tick box near the hard drive name. At the next to last step of the Recovery wizard you will be asked if you want to restore another partition. If you choose "Yes" then you will be able to select another partition from the image archive. Both partitions will be restored in one action.

2.) The destination hard drive is unpartitioned and you restore first partition changing it's size so that there is no space (in fact another partition or unallocated space) to restore second partition to.

If my assumption is not correct then please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Yes, you can use Add New Disk wizard to create a new partition layout on the destination hard drive prior to restoring an image. However, it is not required since Acronis True Image allows you to restore individual partitions from the entire hard drive image selecting either a partition or unallocated space as a destination for the image restoration and changing the partition size during the image restoration process. You can find more information on how to use Add New Disk Wizard in chapter 8 of the above mentioned User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.