Ok,so now I'm just using ZA,and I have a question?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JTA, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTA

JTA Guest

Should I disable it while playing games?I don't think I should because it is the only firewall my system is running right now and if I disable my system would be left open for attack.What should I do?

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi JTA
    There should be no need to turn your firewall off as the amount of resource's needed to run your firewall are very small

3. JTA

JTA Guest

Well I just tried playing a game and not turning it off and freezes my game up because ZA will come up in the middle of the game asking if I would like the game to access the Internet.It still wouldn't hurt would it?When I first got my computer(and I didn't know as much about computers)I went without a firewall for like 6 months so I don't think turning it off to play a game is going to hurt much.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It can hurt a LOT and very fast to turn off your firewall. ZA is not good (in my experience) at holding onto a game without freezing while asking permission to connect, especially the first time. You should either go into the application list and give the game permission to access "always" ahead of time - or try a firewall that is better at holding a program while waiting for permission without freezing. I use Sygate and never woulda tried it if it wasn't for those exact problems with ZA. Other than that, however, I never had any complaint about that firewall.

5. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

You might want to watchout with ZA there's a few bugs with it when it comes to online gaming.

Past experience ( last week sigh ) shows that ZA vector sub component is unstable and will cause ZA to crash.

6. JTA

JTA Guest

My game that keeps freezing because of ZA is Everquest just to let you know.By the way its already in the Trusted Internet zone so why is it still asking me if I want it to access the internet?Do I need to add it to the column "Act as a Server"o_O??

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, I don't see why Everquest would need to act as server but I suppose it's possible. Lots of people will say to never let anything act as server, but I allow plenty of games to do so since I host them pretty often. I don't see where trying that could hurt - and are you totally dedicated to using ZA even if that doesn't solve the problem?

8. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I have EverQuest here.

When ZA is enable even in trusted apps you'll need to create an additional set of rules to be able to connect and receive information from local and remote host has the port range is wide and ips are rotated.

I don't remember what rules they where but you can get the information off the EverQuest help center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.