Ok, I'm ready to share a Neat Trick

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by P.T., Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

I may be posting this in the wrong forum, but I was a little confused as to where to put it. I don't know how many of you out there maintain web sites. Be them help sites for security newbies or what ever. I love web design; it's an addiction for me. That being said, I have learned a new trick I thought I'd share. You know those little icons that some web sites have with their sites that are beside their title in your Bookmark list? They're a breeze to do. All you have to do is:

Basically, all a favicon. icon is is a very small bitmap image you create. (16x16 px ) (I also exported the graphic in 8 colors May not be necessary.). There are all kinds of tools out there specifically designed for favicon creation. Although you can use any image composition program that can output a bitmap (bmp file) to create one. (I used Fireworks) Once you have created the file, you simply rename it to favicon.ico and upload it to the root public_html folder of your site.

(If you want to be sure that the browser "finds" the file you can put the line below in the HEAD of your doc. Also not necessary, only if you have the image stored somewhere other than the root directory...)

(This code goes in the head of the page.
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico">

Enjoy, I had a blast doing this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.