Ok, I am going

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Here's a useful table of equivalent commands for package management on both Ubuntu/Debian and Red Hat/Fedora systems.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/ RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora

What about yum fastestmirror - have you installed it ? I have on CentOS and my downloads are faster due to being sourced from a local mirror.
    yum clean headers ... is that the same as yum cleanall that you mentioned ?
    What is that ? :D :argh:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. cet

cet Registered Member

Good strategy but it only works if I can boot into the system.:)

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i got fatal error after installed nessus from source

weird i am sure i might done some wrong this time while install or configuring i know so i remove it i try it again but after some time :D

4. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

When you installed Mint did you delete the partitions from the previous installs. You may not be partitioning your drive correctly or if you're installing without beginning with fresh partitions this can cause problems.

If you continue to have problems, and if you decide to reinstall, may I suggest you use GParted and delete all your partitions. After they are deleted then create a new partition table and then add your new partitions. You do this from within GParted. Also, may I suggest you start with a simple partitioning scheme, just make a /, /home, and a /swap partition. Format the /, and the /home partition to ext4 and then install your system.

If you do not have hardware problems you should not be having the problems you're having. Mint is extremely reliable and should work for you.

good luck,

Jim

5. mack_guy911

yes cet that why i highly recommend you dual boot make one default and learn another one little by little

ocky i agree some i skip fast mirrors too yes they also cause problem centos is best distro only thing i hate about it is gnome look too old i mean 2.16 if its 2.22 i still might using it good part is cent 6 will be on gnome 2.28 but i have to wait a year i guss for that :rolleyes:

yes jim is right it might be a one of cause next time when you install use gparted

let say 100gb hardisk

20 gb root_mint (/)
    30 gb home
    2 gb swap enough

3rd extended

make rest the

/ root ( and install some other distro)

you can create 4 partitions at most

You can create 4 Primary Partitions at most

Or
    best for linux which i have also done is

3 Primary and 1 Extended Partition (in extended partition you can create many logical partition)

in windows default is

1 Primary and 1 Extended Partitiond(rest logical is left for user wish)

6. cet

cet Registered Member

I deleted all the partitions and started from scratch.I made a new / and now it is only 15GB.The rest is home and at last there is a 4 GB swap file.All are ext 4.

Attached Files:

7. cet

cet Registered Member

Guess what!!
    Now I have to read and learn how to dual boot 2 Linux distros.:D
    Since I am not going to install Windows again on this PC.:D
    But I can always use my Toshiba Vista Laptop to ask you questions :eek: in case of a Linux failure.

PS:today is the special day of the month for me so panicking is normal for a women on a day like this.;) ;)
    My new avatar reflects my emotions.LOL.

8. mack_guy911

9. cet

cet Registered Member

10. mack_guy911

50 / gb root primary for default mint

300 /gb home primary

then

extended

from there

50 gb root logical

100 gb home logical

or

just one partition

150 gb root logical for other distro

wait i put screen shots

hehehe cet you are very fast please dont become supercomputer learn then wait and do it no hurry

sorry also 2gb swap i forget mention above

Attached Files:

11. cet

cet Registered Member

That is why I divorced.No one can stand me.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thank you mack_guy911 I think I need a brake.Let me stay with one system for a week.Next week maybe dual boot with PCLOS.
    By the way what do you think about my partition table which I am using now?
    My / root partition was 40 GB (Ubuntu) and many of you told me to make a smaller partition for boot.

Now I am downloading GParted Live CD.:) To use next week.:)

12. mack_guy911

yes cet give me 2-3 days i post a tutorial with screen shots of gparted :)

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Were it not that you said Fedora worked properly, I'd suspect hardware problems in your case too. If you don't want to take your computer to the repair shop, the easiest way to diagnose your problem would be to install Windows or a non-Ubuntu distro, and see if the issues crop up again.

Have a look at PCLinuxOS, Mepis, openSUSE, or perhaps even a second look at Fedora. Granted, it's not as straightforward as Ubuntu, but it's not Arch either. You seem to be quite competent at searching, asking, and following instructions so far, so if you do decide to stick at it, I doubt Fedora will prove too much for you.

With all that said: don't feel too bad if things don't work out in the end, it's not necessarily your fault. Linux can (and sometimes will) screw up for no conceivable reason whatsoever, and I speak from personal experience here. Despite how helpful forum members are, sometimes the only solution is to beat a retreat back to Windows for the time being, until the next release of your distro hopefully fixes the issues you face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.