Ok, I am going

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

to tell you the happy news.I installed Linux Mint, and so far I feel ''at home''.It will be better for me and also I do not want to ask too many questions to you.I will try to stick with it at least for a year.And later I may try Fedora or other distros.
    I hope Mint does not crash, I do not want to install another operating system anymore at 32'C.
    Thank you for all who have helped me.
    PS:I forgot to tell you that my favorite color is green (grass green).So I am double happy.

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Glad to hear it cet. Of course, any questions you have about mint will be welcome here. Happy Linuxing!

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Good luck Cet... Everything you learned and did in Ubuntu should apply equally in Mint. You will like it...

4. cet

cet Registered Member

The system is up and running but :

That was what I thought.But there are only 3 differences.In Ubuntu there was a hard disk section from where I saw the partitions and the smart attributes of hard disk.But in Mint it is missing.
    Also enabling sensors :I had the hd temperature in Ubuntu but not in Mint.I did exactly the same things.
    And one more important problem is:I read in the Mint forum that disk check takes forever,it is corrected in Ubuntu bot not in Mint.They say to stop the disk checks until the problem is solved.I do not know how to do it.I only booted 5 times.That means I will have a problem soon.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The palimpsest package is not installed by default in Mint (strange, I know). "sudo apt-get install palimpsest" should make it available from the GNOME Control Center.

What sensor program are you using?

IIRC, the hddtemp daemon in Mint is configured to be only accessible by users with root access. If your monitoring program reads temperature values off hddtemp, run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure hddtemp" and set the SUID bit accordingly.

Eh? That's news to me, at any rate. Been using Isadora since its RC without any problems of this kind.

EDIT: Checked my fstab file just to be sure, and yes, fsck is set to run as per default settings. Where did you hear about this problem?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The disk check issue should not be there at all as Ubuntu updates which MINT uses should have taken care of it. Have you updated your system?

7. cet

cet Registered Member

Sure,I updated the system as soon as I finished installing it.

h ttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=49520&sid=ce54d7091a231977513ba29f316fa41f
    I read this forum topic.What do you recommend me to do?
    Also:
    h ttps://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/583923

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

disk check problem is ubuntu base i also have face it in ubuntu 10.04 once on my laptop once but after update i didnt face any even if i face it i skip it by pressing ESc key if that dont work like it happen in ubuntu what i did is cold boot so its no big deal

also it not necessary i face problem A in ubuntu you also face the same problem as well

also big problem what many people face in they trouble shoot with knowing what they are doing that they put some command given on forums and then what happen is they remove boot files ....etc doing something really unnecessary and end up destroying their distro and putting blame on it

if you face a bug best solution avoid it and wait untill the bug fixed in update which usually happen

3rd as far as your ubuntu to mint switch congratulations and

we also love to help you to solve your 3 problem in a easy way just give us some time :)

9. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok,Now what!!! I had new updates today.When I want to install those give an error.And I had to correct a broken package.These are the problematic updates.

Attached Files:

10. linuxforall

I am sorry to say but I am now thorougly convinced you have a serious hardware issue here, please get it checked.

11. mack_guy911

uncheck them all and install then one by one check which one is giving problem

12. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Hi Cet

I think you should clean your system fans, they might be very dusty. Dust block air circulation in your computer and rise your system temperature significantly. Go to a store and by some air dusters and unplug your computer and open the case blow the dust away.

I have two computers that had similar problems and dust was the cause. Try this prospective solution, it might work for you.

Thanks.

13. mack_guy911

how can you say there is hardware issue o_O??

14. mack_guy911

also install bleachbit and run it on root as well user mode

also use

sudo aptitude clean then

try again if you still have same response try again after a day or so

15. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok the bug has hit me, the system is now trying to do fsck and it hung.Can anyone please tell me how to do fsck using the live cd.I lost 5 hours to do this system and now I am going to lose everything.

16. linuxforall

So far she has tried few distros and have run into issues with them all, all these distros represent the very best of desktop linux and I find it improbable that not even one worked for her. Time for some introspection here.

17. linuxforall

What will cleaning achieve here btw? Cache and config packages at most in Linux.

18. cet

cet Registered Member

I booted nowo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
    I looked at the logs and at the boot log there was : fsck forced there were errors in the file system

I did sudo aptitude clean and then I was able to install the updates.Now everything seems normal.

But I believe that there is something that causes this and that may be some kind of hardware conflict.I do not want to reinstall windows I have tried my best.

19. linuxforall

Cet how bout getting your hardware checked thoroughly by a technician before going through tedious process of installing distros. This way you are assured of any impending issues. My suspicion is a glitchy power supply or hdd controller causing these data drop outs.

20. cet

cet Registered Member

When I go to the PC shop where I got this PC from I am sure that they will blame it on Linux, and will not check power supply or etc.They had made fun of me when I had told them after renewing the hard disk I was going to only install Linux.I can see the grins on their faces now.:oops:

21. cet

cet Registered Member

Fedora did not give any boot problems.I uninstalled it because it was beyond my Linux knowledge.Since Linux Mint and Ubuntu share the same files maybe I should try Suse.What do you think?

22. linuxforall

Not getting boot issues with Fedora was just a matter of chance.

I seriously doubt this to be a Ubuntu or MINT issue, you can try SuSE but I would rather recommend PCLOS or Mepis which are far easier to handle.

23. linuxforall

Well why not install Windows and then shove it up their face to wipe out their silly grin when it comes up with issues, ignorance really has no cure Cet and thats why they fools laugh, best to ignore here.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Cet, to be honest, it sounds more like you have some hardware issue, perhaps a bad HD again, or HD controller. Hard to say though. You could install yet another distro, or you could also install Windows and see what happens. At least with Win, the machine would be ready for the computer repair guys if it happens again. I was recently getting unscheduled chkdsk runs at boot from Win 7 and when I replaced the HD and reinstalled, they disappeared.

25. mack_guy911

hello trying out every distro getting trouble with it then trying out another one never resolve issues so far what i get is you get a little trouble and you get panicked or your hardware really giving you trouble try linux on some other hardware for a while with dual boot with xp....etc and see if same happens you keep getting problems then sure its not hardware issue but if dont then check your hardware

i suggest you use gparted and reduce your partition size and of left partition install fedora/suse/pclinusos
    what ever you find second best according you knowledge as far update issue its a minor thing same happen to me many times in mint fedora .......etc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like for example of your fedora cannot update

i try yum cleanall
    yum update wont work
    then i try yumex from there i try to update now you idea get chrome cannot let repo update complete now what i do i put chrome on ignore list and try it again its update every thing rather than chrome

i try to resolve chrome if it dont i remove chrome also from yum.conf i remove chrome repo file

and reinstall it after some time it start doing updating it work 99%

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but i dont bother much i try to resolve it if i cannot then i leave it for some time and start using another for a while then when my panic level calm i try to resolve it again ask question on their forums but i do it in relax manor why so because i am triple boot if 1 wont work another one do if both stoped then i still have the 3rd one window vista as backup so no big deal

few days ago i install something in fedora and saw fatal error which very rare in linux

now 2 ways to handle

1st it omg what i do know my system goona burn into piece

2nd way who cares even so i buy the new one its already 5 years old and its a software crap no big deal i remove that one and after update its back to normal if not in worst case what can happen i have to reinstall that all is that a big deal too

but before that i ask my self let try to resolve it before formatting i set a target for week at least and try to resolve if i cannot i leave for a another day till week after week i give it another week ok one more time hehehe

my strategy is persistence, patience and 3rd important thing which sound very weird when i stuck on something i forget about that thing for a while and after some time i got a tube light glowing of ans either by my brain or some else brain showing me path of wisdom and funny most fact about time is that i was not thinking about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.