Oh dear Eset.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by pcah, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcah

pcah Registered Member

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Care to share a little more of what you are attempting to show ?

Your link simply takes you to Discussions in Windows Vista Security :doubt:

3. pcah

pcah Registered Member

Got a scroll button?
    use it to get to eset FYI and have a read.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

C´mon, no need to be haughty, if you have something to discuss, do it. Tell us what you think is wrong, your opinion. No point in just trowing links and expect all to guess what you mean. Show us that you have a thought behind your post.
    A little quote and your thoughts about it is all that is needed to benefit a discussion.

5. pcah

pcah Registered Member

I think enough has been said in these groups to see that this product is yet to be a functional proposition as regards to safe and secure security.
    It is not just in here that eset`s lack of responses to issues with this product has been commented on and it is plainly obvious that the product is not fit for marketing with the bugs and issues that are causing concern to users who have paid for an undeveloped product.
    I personally tried it and after it stated my user name and password were not recognised and it gave up functioning my security one night (marcos knows this as i emailed him about it) i personally uninstalled it as i want a secure environment on my pc and that i am willing to pay for.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

There are many happy users who are using the product without issues.

7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

yep that sounds like vista :isay:

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

actually, I have no issues with Vista.;)

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

In the end, isnt that what really counts.;)

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Same Old story....:rolleyes: A user installs an AV or Security Suite, and doesnt read the user manual. and blindly goes about his/her daily business, when something awry happens its always the product, never the user :rolleyes: I sugest people first read about the products in question before ranting and raving how good or bad... If you dont! you deserve every single problem you encounter :cautious:

11. K1LL3M

K1LL3M Registered Member

This was also discussed earlier in this forum
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=193446&highlight=horses mouth

Though, did you read the article you linked?

The representitive made a general reference, albeit a little snide (but I imagine the poster was less than pleasant on the phone) to the issues that can arise from first release software and was quoted as saying "I personally never install "new" software as soon as it is available".

Note he said personally, if its mission critical stuff or stability is a major concern for you, you dont use any new release software until it been mass tested by those of us who are happy to have the latest and greatest (BSOD and all) and then all those issues that were found and reported patched.

Then you can install your mature stable software while we are using the next best thing.

'nuff said!

Cheers

12. nippa

nippa Registered Member

A certain attitude is adopted in this forum towards anyone that dares to question the effectiveness of ESS. In some regard this has deterred me from earlier postings as being flamed is never nice.

Lets just say that I don't trust ESS as it stands to find spyware and trojans.
    From practical experience I have discovered nasties using Sunbelt's Counterspy and PC Tools Spyware Doctor that I would have expected ESS to find.
    My ESS settings are tweaked to be aggressive and yet I still don't trust it.

The firewall fails the Leak Tests but that's OK ( isn't it?)
    The Spam Filter falls way below software like MailWasher
    And the Antivirus seems to miss the odd Trojan ( the latest was PAL Keylogger) but otherwise I'm a happy punter.

In another thread we are told that the definition of " In the Wild" is so vague that the publication of ESET's success rate could be re-evaluated.

I really liked NOD32 v2 but this piece of software leaves me worried.
    Even respected computer Journalists like Scott Finnie are delaying an assessment although he loved NOD32 ( see his website )

I hope that by Easter I shall have more confidence but right now ESS appears to act like a Beta version.

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a couple of comments.

There's obviously been a wide range of experiences with this particular release of the product. Some have been good, some have certainly had problems. The fact that I may have had a generally good experience really doesn't help the person in the middle of a genuine problem.

The one thing that none of us should do is to diminish the difficulties that someone potentially faces when dealing with issues concerning products they use for maintaining PC security. It is a little different on both emotional and operational planes than, for example, a word processing program not quite getting the formatting right.

By the same token, it's often difficult to get to a viable solution when user (or vendor) emotion and/or anxiety overtakes objective analysis of the situation. Regardless of the circumstance, the first step is to focus on the desired endpoint - here it is a working AV or suite that a user has confidence in - and not the confused and conflict ridden mess that we might find ourselves immersed in. That may sound overly simplistic, but I've found this to be useful discipline in situations in which the commercial stakes were a lot higher than typically seen here.

Blue

14. K1LL3M

K1LL3M Registered Member

I generally agree, problems are problems and should be raised; and be expected to be addressed, with a certain amount of professionalism and integrity.

Posting nothing more than a link to a problem somebody else posted on a another forum (nothing about personal problems), achieves neither resolution to a problem nor any improvement to the program.

My experience with ESS while not perfect has been generally good so my objectivity is perhaps positively tainted, though the service level does appear to have declined since ESS went gold and ESET's "In the wild" arguments are concerning.

15. K1LL3M

K1LL3M Registered Member

In addition, I feel, the mature NOD32 set the bar very high for the first time foray of the suite(and likely increased sales). With expectations so high, any failure was sure to be considered disappointing; the emotion involved here is a complement in a way to just how good NOD was.

16. pcah

pcah Registered Member

My observations on your reply and many others you have posted is that the only constructive thing is the Man united emblem you have.!
    The ess suite costs approx £40-00 GBP,it is supposed to be vista &xp compatible,but the number of people that have issues with it are growing daily.
    My personal point is that as it stands at this moment in time i would not reinstall it simply because i do not trust it,i want something that i feel is secure.When all the issues have been sorted then i may consider it as eset have an excellent track record in anti-virus solutions.
    My personal view is that if they had launched this product a couple of months down the line it would have out sold any other security suite on the market,it is as if it was released to the public as a beta test and all the feedback from the users will in the end get it right,but im not paying that sort of money for a suite that is clearly not in its finished state.

17. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

That is not an excuse. I'm a happy user (of Eset Smart Security) but that does not mean that because happy users ar more that unhappy users they do not count.
    One of the things that brought my atention from this forum and from reading that conversation that started this thread is the slow response from Eset, and while I never had a serious issue with Eset (one that would make me want to uninstall it's products) the response times where always slow, and that is not good when you're dealing with a security product, and even more, Eset should care that there response times are not good.
    I have learned from experience that great compalies are the ones that answer fast and right when a customer has an issue, and Eset should learn that lesson too.

I'm not saying that in this particular case they didn't, because I was not a part of this particular situation that "pcah" posted but if it happend as posted then it is a shame that it did.

PS to trjam: that is not what really counts... angry users can take you out of busines, and you shoult take care of them before they take care of you.

18. crummock

crummock Registered Member

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again....

the big problem with ESS is not really the product. We all know and accept that a new product is not going to be perfect on day one, although it should be pretty damn good after 8 months of beta testing (which I also participated in) .

The big issue is the lack of response or poor responses that we all get personally and see on these forums from ESET staff.

I personally have an issue that was raised 3 weeks ago with ESET through the support team direct from the ESS application. It took over 1 week to even acknowledge the call and then no further feedback or solution despite 2 emails to them asking for an update.

That is the problem. The treat many customers as though we are s**t. A company that is the size of ESET (fairly small in this market) will not get away with this for long before it starts to impact their sales.

I personally have got them at least 30 extra customers over the last 2 years by recommending NOD32 but the experience with ESS has made me see their true colours when it comes to customer service.

19. poutine

poutine Registered Member

I agree ( partially ) with pcah that ESS and EAV were released too early, all the bugs i have encountered with its lousy Outlook Express integration is unforgiveable.
    Form the off i encountered problems , couldnt even open OE without "ping" cmon, how did they miss that one !!!! OK in the end they fixed that but still it doesnt even work right.
    After all the updates its still no good. Read reciept replies cannot be sent, account details are wiped in sent items window.
    Both products were released too early and i think everyone knows it deep down. I have used NOD since 2004 but i wont be after Nov 2008 when my sub runs out.

20. HorizonFell

HorizonFell Registered Member

Sounds to me more like they're a small company getting swamped with technical requests from clients, and are so bogged down that they're having a tough time keeping up with the volume.

A small company can only provide "good" customer service so long as it's above-tide.

21. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

the sad commentary on it all is very simple. Yes it works for some but for a lot it just plain doesn't. What is the most disconcerning fact is no one company wise advises on it's own forum for support that v3.9 (as example) is due out 2/1. If they did if gives one hope that a solution is on the way & stays positive. Honesty in communication. Always works in a vendors behalf. Say nothing & you leave the consumer guessing & feeling robbed...

22. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

I hate to admit it but I kind of agree with pcah, when ESS first came out, even when it was in Beta it worked better than it does now. The spam toolbar disappearing in Windows Mail at random still hasn't been fixed, even though I've reported this countless times, when in beta, after the final was released and it's obviously just being ignored.

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

obviously most of us are not privy to what has been fixed and awaiting an update release. However, I personally will remain confident they have learned from mistakes made with both ESS and EAV until proven otherwise, whether it be in the program itself or their interaction with the user base, present and future.

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Untill you've actually installed a software such as a security product and actually ran it for more than 3 seconds without compaining how good or bad it is, .as most people have done, then you cant really comment on construction. Also your oppinion on my posts is your own, Many others tend to agree, so I'll just leave it as that, and carry on regardless if thats Ok with you MR.MAN :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

One off topic post removed.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.