Office Custom Install

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by khanyash, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Attached is the screenshot

What applications are needed by the majority of users?

Attached Files:

• OCI.png
      OCI.png
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
  2. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Just install:

Microsoft Excel = To view and Create spreadsheets
    Microsoft PowerPoint = To view and create slideshow presentations
    Microsoft Word = To view and create documents

The above is all you really need

But, if you want a little extras, install these as well:

Microsoft OneNote = To make personal notes/reminders
    Microsoft Publisher = To make flyers, posters, calendars, etc.

Don't install these, unless you plan on checking your email through an email client, making database files or wanting to work with a team of people on projects:

Microsoft Outlook = To check your email through a client on Windows (Not needed if you're comfortable checking your email through your browser.)
    Microsoft Access = To create database files (Usually more useful in a business environment)
    Microsoft Groove = To work with a team of people on projects (More business oriented)

Hope this helps

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Word
    Powerpoint

I have no need for Excel.

I am debating installing Publisher since I publish e books on Kindle and other devices and am curious if it can build a good cover - or if I, utterly without artistic talent, can build a cover.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Is this a warez installation CD ?

6. Chuck57

Not mine. Office 2007 Ultimate. I received it from MS for participating in a several month Microsoft survey.

7. siljaline

Right - I was asking the original poster, as a legit CD will offer a similar installation option, why would someone that had ostensibly shelled out some serious funds for said software be wanting to opt-out of some of the included items in the suite.

Most (that I know of) install the entire suite, use what's required and keep the security at a current level on Patch Tuesday.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have known a few friends to opt out of some parts of the MS Office install because they only wanted Word and Exel for example, and not everything offered. I personally install the whole thing, but some may not want to.

9. Chuck57

I wanted Word and Powerpoint, not all the other stuff that came with the program. Now, I might install Publisher and even One Note, but not sure on One Note yet. I see no point in installing everything when I'm on a single desktop not connected to any other computer, and don't download my email to the computer.

10. guest

guest Guest

Because most people aren't bothered to do some careful installations and click next next next. *puppy* Luckily, most software these days have an auto update feature and usually enabled by default.

There's nothing wrong with being selective.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Not to get too off topic but how do we know he/she paid full price for it? Maybe its was free from school or work. Or maybe it was the only suite that included the application he/she did want. Also judging by the space available on the hard disk, maybe he or she is trying to save space?

12. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

There are very good reasons for doing a custom install, it doesn't mean you are using "warez".

If you go through and expand everything and read the descriptions you will find that there are features you know you don't need and some that you do need and aren't selected by default. By eliminating what you know you don't want you can slim down the install size by a considerable amount. Why install Outlook and update it constantly if you will never use it?

One good example is the despised Clippie (which has apparently disappeared since Office 2007). Doing a custom install, you were able to de-select the office assistants and never see the thing.

13. siljaline

Custom install it is then ~ (shrugs) ~ :p

14. khanyash

Thanks replying frds.

Its genuine office.

I did default i.e full install.

This is a family system used by all so after talking to all I came to the decision that the needed apps are---

Word
    Excel
    Powerpoint
    Access
    Outlook

Apps not known to any of us---

Infopath
    Publisher
    Onenote
    Groove
    Visio

I think we dont need these. And I think all are individual apps so not installing any/all will not affect other/any installed apps in any way, am I right?

I am confused about the others---

Office shared features
    Office tools

Are these required i.e not installing these may result in error with some function of the installed apps due to dependency?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i have not tried it personally but OneNote is apparently one of the best note taking software.

might be worth a try.

h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pB12Aw6fQ

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use OneNote. It's the best.:thumb:

17. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

It's been awhile since I installed Office, but if memory serves there are optional components under each of the major categories. Unless I'm positive what it is I always choose to "Install later." That way I don't install a lot of crap I don't need and I can always install it later if I want. Frees up a lot of space. :)

18. khanyash

OK.

I need word, excel & powerpoint & dont need others.

You have replied with simple explanation about every application in the screenshot, thanks.

What about office shared features & office tools?

And what install option should I choose, "Run from my computer" or "Run all from my computer" or "Installed on first use"?
    I have Office 2007 install files on harddisk.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  19. Tyrizian

I would leave office shared features, as well as office tools to their default values.

You should be fine, without touching any of those options.

20. khanyash

Do you mean no need to install office shared features & office tools?

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

He means you shouldn't not install them (I know double negatives are bad but...). Just leave the boxes like in the screenshot.

22. khanyash

If those boxes are left like in the screenshot then both i.e office shared features & office tools will be installed.

What I meant was, out of all the applications in the screenshot I have installed only Word, Excel & Powerpoint. And I wanted to know if office shared features & office tools are optional & no probs if not installed or both are important & should be installed as they have needed features/functions required by word, excel, powerpoint & the other applications in the screenshot?

23. Tyrizian

What I meant by default values was, is install them, but without changing anything to them.

24. khanyash

Ok.

I checked office shared features & office tools & they contain functions related to all the applications. So I wonder installing OSF & OT installs all the functions or only functions for installed apps i.e apps not installed, related functions will also not be installed? Any info on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.