Office 2007 problem :(

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pykko, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Hello!
    I've just downloaded Office 2007 from MS website and tried to install it but I've got the following error. :( See attachement.
    My system drive (on which I have Windows installed) has 554 MB free space. It is labeled as D: partition. Does Office check for C: partition or what is wrong with the installer?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. ;)

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

pykko

Remember this is a beta. You are probably going to have to go to the beta forum to get help. I've downloaded, but yet to install it.

Pete

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

try defragging your drive.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No comments. Betas for everyone nowadays, this is the new trend.
    Within a few years : alphas for everyone, because testing softwares is too expensive for software companies.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Not if properly done.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, I freed up some more space on my drive and office installation began...then it prompted me to free again some space...but I couldn't so it stopped. Then I learned from one friend that Office 2007 extracts almost 2 GB of temp files on your system drive during install. :(

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

8. Peter2150

Installed here with no problems. No doubt it is big, especially since I left Office 2003 intact.

Also note some of the modules(like onenote) change the data format, and it isn't backward compatible. Be sure you have a means to go back and forth if you play with this.

Pete

PS. I like it.

9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Lots of MSFT software, even when it gives you a choice of where to install a product, is not so bright when it comes to using temporary space.

They could easily do what windows update used to do a few years ago, create a temporary directory on the drive with the most space available, then delete the critter when done.

You'd think MSFT would have figure this out by now.

10. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I think Iceni60 gave you the best advice. Sometimes what is required is continuous space on the hard drive. I would add that you are cutting it pretty thin though. You probably know that when you get below a certain percent of free space strange things start to occur.

Just for the record, Softmaker's Textmaker 2006 is a fully compatible to MS Word word processor. They also have a spreadsheet and huge number of optional fonts. It requires less than 20 mb to install, and all the reviews I have seen have rated it much higher than the then current MS products. In fact I think I've heard Office 7 called a step backwards due to some DRM hassles built into the program.

So, it's your choice, Hard Drive Roulette & Unstable DRM laden bloated product, or fast efficient and stable programs, plus a super-model girlfriend. Either way, I don't want to influence your decision.

-HandsOff

11. Peter2150

Kinda hard to make judgements about Office 2007 Beta as it is still just that a beta. Don't know what Office 7 might be. I guess one can look at the office replacements, but everyone I've tried always seems to lack a little something. I like this new office, but there are still a few issues.

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Well, true, it's still in beta and however it performs now, one would hope it would improve in the final release.

I think we can make some pretty safe predictions about the completely rediculous amount of resources it takes, and it's a fact that Textmaker 2006 opens in 2 seconds on my computer and is ready to use at that point. Its also a fact that my OfficeXP patches alone took over three times as much space as the entire TM application takes.

One can only wonder if Microsoft will hold to its practice of having the product phone home, ect...If you didn't know there is actually a freeware program out there whose function is to see what componts Office is loading and allow you to decide to load them or not. It's virtually impossible to do it with Microsofts settings!

TM just does what you tell it to. Maybe I'm weird, but I like that in a program!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.