Offensive Usernames?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by bigbuck, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi all,
    Now firstly, I'll say that by no means am I a prude/puritan. I have been known to use the odd bit of colourful language in the appropriate company.....certainly not on this board! I can recall on several instances, the admin saying that this is a 'family' board and for members to take care in our choice of language, images etc that we post. Fair enough!
    But, this morning while browsing the forum I came across a very 'iffy' nickname of a new member. I was just wondering if the admin had any policy in regard to the choice of usernames? I won't link to this name, but I thought I would post the question here in preference to PM'ing various administrators with the same question.
    Thanks,
    Brad.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Brad,

We are fully aware of user names - those coming close to the line as well - and do keep a keen eye on it. As it it is, some are close to crossing the line, but as we see it, none has crossed the line as for now. We will interfere as soon if necessary, be assured of that.

regards,

paul

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

On the side topic of how to report things...

Please note that you don't need to PM multiple staff members with any kind of alert. You can use the Report Bad Post [!] button which sends a message out to all staff. In this case, if that username was on a post you read, just use the button on that post. If not, you could use almost any other post, perhaps a General Topics one, but say it is in regards to something else. Also, there is the Contact Us link at the bottom of each page here which send reports in via email.

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Thanks LWM, I was aware of that. I had no problem with the post, I just thought the nick was a bit 'off'. For instance, If I were to post the 'f' word in a thread (regardless of swapping the second and third letters), I would expect some recourse from the mods/admin. But since it's a nick, it 'hits you in the face' time and time again through the course of a thread!
    Anyway, thanks for your time.
    Brad.

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

That username is a vulgarity. That user needs to make his username sound 'cleaner' a bit. If he refuses to change his username to something less offensive, then his privilege of being registered with this forum should be taken away.

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi nadirah :)
    Your point has been noted and as Paul has stated that although the user names in question are close to the line they have not yet been crossed. You can rest assured that this situation is constantly monitored by the administrative team here and any amendment's to screen names may take place at any time at the discretion of the admin team.
    As my post now clarifies this thread i will now close it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.