OEM hardware- ethical/ moral issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse( Microsoft IntelliType Pro) today. When I opened it in my home I found it to be an OEM version and the software CD with it stating " For distribution with a new PC only". It,s packing is also showing this as it is simply packed in a blank carton. One of my friend was with me and we did bought a notebook as well but obviously this OEM version is not supposed to be sold with this notebook and also vendor has put it for open sale without any condition. It,s also mentioned in on the CD " for ptoduct support, contact the manufacturer of your PC"- another hint to IEM version
    I really like this keyboard and mouse and it,s a bit cheaper also.
    I want to ask the ethical/ moral and legal question here, Can I use this or I should return it back to the vendor? The question is mainly moral/ ethical rather than legal here in my country. I need ur advice.
    Thanks.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The deal with OEM hardware is generally that it has to be sold with some hardware, even if not a full system. Since you bought a notebook at the same time, it would seem that you're perfectly entitled. There's a lot of OEM deals out there and it's a good way to save money, it shouldn't be an issue. I got my keyboard/mouse combo the same way. You may not get manufacturer support on it, but shouldn't really need it with a keyboard/mouse.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

For OEM products, you do not get direct manufacturer support. However, you can get suppport if you contact the vendor who sold it to you.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi aigle,

You are absolutely in the clear. There is nothing wrong, unethical, or immoral about it. Even if you didn't buy a notebook with it, there is nothing wrong with that either. It is the vendor's responsibility for only selling the item with a new computer / major system component, not yours. You did nothing wrong.
    And besides, your notebook has a keyboard port (at least a USB port) that the keyboard COULD be hooked up to. Some people like to use a bigger keyboard with their laptop. Enjoy your new keyboard on whatever computer you use it with!

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@Notok
    @Devinco
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry if u feel me a bit obcessional about it. My problem is that I am in a country where copy rights and these sort of things are not so important and hardly any body cares for it except for the institutions and governmebt offices because of obvious reasons. So I have no idea about this deal to be ethical or not as no nody even knows these issues here. Personally I always try to keep myself within ethics.
    Suport is no issue for me.
    As for the hardware is comcerned as I wrote the vendor is selling it without any hardware purchase obligation.
    So u think the venfor has done wrong? If he has done wrong and now I know about this I personally prefer not to co-operate in this part of his business just to keep myself altogether clear ethically and morally.
    What is ur opionion?

Thanks.

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Your honesty and ethical attitude is appreciated especially in today's world.
    But it is misplaced in this particular case as nothing wrong is being done by you or the vendor.
    Microsoft makes plain boxed hardware to sell directly to OEM computer builders, distributors, and vendors of computer parts. MS makes an agreement with these companies to sell them the hardware at a lower price than the fancy retail boxed versions as long as it is sold with a new computer (or major system component that could be used to make a new computer). The hardware is almost always identical, it is just the packaging.
    You have purchased a notebook with this keyboard and mouse. A notebook is a PC. So the vendor is abiding by his agreement with MS and you (even though you have no contract with MS) are also in compliance with this. So nothing wrong is being done by any stretch of the imagination.

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As pointed out by others, as long as yo undersrtand the restrictions on "support" and what yo can use the software for, then it's no big deal.

Indeed, if you called up the vendor, I doubt very much they would even want to bother with exchanging anything.

The software for MSFT's keyboard is downloadable from MSFT's web site, and is more up to date than the CD anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.